PDA

View Full Version : ADA website

Brad
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 06:15 AM
Don't know if this is the right forum but where has the Australian discus association website gone?

I would like to look at joining.

Thanks
Brad

kevkoi
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 06:20 AM
under re-construction I hear.

kev

Brad
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 06:24 AM
OK
Thanks Kev

DiscusMan
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 07:43 AM
The web site is temporarily unavailable and will back back as soon as we can organise it.

If you are wishing to join the club and live in Sydney. There is a meeting on next Sunday 28th March. 7:30pm at parramatta. PM me if you want more details than this. There is nearly always Discus for sale and heaps of Discus keepers to bounce questions off. All are welcome and you can join on the day.

Regards

DiscusMan.

Brad
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 08:02 AM
I live 4hrs away so making it to a meeting will be difficult

Is there anything else making it worth joining for members that can not attend meetings.

Newsletter ,business promotions etc...

Also when is the next ADA discus show held??

Thanks
Brad

DiscusMan
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 08:20 AM
Brad,

ummm benefits of joining the club. I often wonder that same question myself. Why does one join any club. My question is what are you looking for and i will tell you if we can provide it.

The aim of the club is to promote the Discus fish to the public to hopefully bring more people into the hobby of keeping discus. To this aim the club is always trying to get out there and display our fish to the public.

Where else can you go and find a room full of people who spend hours every week cleaning water so that it is better than the stuff we drink,in order to care for their fish.

The club often has raffles. The coming months we a raffling a full CO2 system with electronic solenoid etc. This raffle will go for 2 months over $1000 value i have been told.

Mr trevor Parkes our club president is a very respected Discus keeper in Australia, he just recently returned from Judging in the Malaysia 2004 of which photos can be seen elsewhere in this forum. So we have a some very knowledgable people in our club.

Clubs are social things really that is why I think you need to think what you want. I go as i just love to talk about fish and the club has lots of people who will talk for hours about it 8) . They are there to praise my fish and help out when i am in trouble.

Of course we have a lot of discus breeders in the club and bargains can always be had.

Newsleters are produced and sent to members with lots of information inside.

Ok now the shows

The next show will be held at Penrith. I think it is in August from memory. I am actually one of the organiser for that show so i should know the dates a bit better :oops: This show is jsut a small display that will contain 30 tanks. the number of discus tank on show is not really set yet but it will eb at least 20. Thsi is just a small show.

The next show after this is at teh Sydney Pet and Animal Expo at rosehill. This show is November sometime. It is going to be big. It is an international discus show with fish coming in from overseas to be in the competion. We are having overseas judges coming in to judge as well i believe.

Hope that helps

DiscusMan

Brad
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 08:40 AM
Going to meetings just to meet fellow keepers is what i would like to do but the time makes it near imposible to come without taking days of works,which i will already going to have do to get to marine aquarium society meetings.

The newsletters would be great.

I just didn't really want to join something if because of my location never really noticed any benefit.

Please tell me when you have confirmed dates for the shows as i could make arrangement,plus i know my way around Penrith since i spent some childhood there.

Where in rosehill is the expo held?

Thanks
Brad

flukes
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 09:07 AM
Yeah but its called the ausralian discus Association should be the sydney SDA!! do they ever have meetings in melbourne?? If not for people living interstate it isnt really worth it for a newsletter, id love to join and be able to got to these type of meetings but everything seems to be in sydney!. We have something here in melbourne for eastern districts but its not just for discus and ive been twice and both times its been all about african chilids, which i have never kept and dont plan on.

Scott

Proteus
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 09:48 PM
Scott, that is where you come in to it... well as a figure of speech anyway...

It is an Australian association, but obvioulsy lacks interstate activity.. so, what can be done, is, as new members join up, from areas outside of Sydney, they start to organise there own meetings, then over time it will be truly National... now that sounds awesum...

DiscusMan
Sun Mar 21, 2004, 08:04 AM
That is so true.

So who is gonna put there hand up to start getting things organised in other states?

Looks like Scott just put his hand up for Melb :lol: :lol: :lol:

World series baseball is only held in America
Austrlian Discus Association only holds meetings in Sydney :D

Sorts of works out somehow.

Seriously i agree thou. Brad's question made me really start to think of a valid answer for that question.

It actually does make me ask some questions and if you are willing Scott i will maybe contact you more about this sort of thing. If you want to that is. I would think it is good for the ADA to start getting other states more involved with the club other than receiving a newsletter containing a lot of information that is probably freely available on this forum for example. I have put a lot of though into brad's question overnight, and it is a good thing that we should think about. It is probably very easy to be happy with what you have but we need to think of the Australian Keepers not jsut the Sydney one's. I agree whole heartly with you on that.

So anyone who has any ideas as to what cna be done the PM me or reply here either way i would like to think we could do something.

Even a question of numbers in other states of people who may be willing to get more involved somehow.

I look forward to discussing this more.

DiscusMan

IKeepFish
Sun Mar 21, 2004, 09:13 AM
Hi,
The ADA does have active members in QLD, Vic and SA.
But their activity has been declining over the past year.
It would be great to get meeting happening again in every state, I'm sure that there are interested parties out there wanting to get organised.

I'll talk to DiscusMan next saturday at the meeting and see how the
Sydney Committee can help.

At the moment Our Newsletter is about the only form of communication that we have with some members, whilst other interstate members are regularly on the phone or in touch via email.

Now it looks like this forum has really generated some interest and activity from all over Australia. ( Good One Proteus ) :D

Regards,
IKeepFish

flukes
Sun Mar 21, 2004, 11:37 AM
Well iam more than happy to try to get together a comittee for orgainising such meetings but iam no expert and we need to see how many people would actually be intrested in attending these meetings. Also i know at Sydney meetings there is talks on all types of topics. Although ive learnt alot in the time ive been keeping discus i am nowhere "qualified" enough to be telling others how to and what they should be doing with their discus. I guess its a matter of finding who we have in Victoria who has the knowlege and time to be able to set up these meetings, iam more than happy to organise but its a matter of who is out there, ie breeders, experts and hobbiests, all to attend. So if there is anyone from victoria with experience and willing to set up these meetings with me. I would be more than happy to tlak about the possibilities.

Scott
flukes@optusnet.com.au

discman
Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:26 PM
i will join ada if ther are meatings in vic
i do like the sound of that if u need me to
help in any way let me no
come on lets do this !!!!!!!!! 8) :twisted:

weird
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 12:24 PM
It sounds really good ... I have only been into fish for 18 months but the first 6 months ... my guppies bred like crazy ... and while I thought gee maybe I can sell them (probably for a total of sunday lolly money) but no, feeling way too attached to my youngsters ... I kept them cause I did not trust the lfs and none of my friends kept them (I was introduced to fish by my brother-in-law whilst in Indonesia ... boy this country is seriously untapped except the Singaporeans have already realised that) ... but I am thinking if I am in a club where there are like minded and experienced owners then perhaps I could offer my youngsters in good faith knowing they would be looked after ... anyway that is one benefit that immediately comes to mind ...

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:57 PM
why don't you talk to you local standard aquarium club and see if they would be interested in holding a joint meeting?

it'll help numbers, gain intrest and give you guys a idea of what is needed to do it on your own!

plus i'm sure the local melb tank club would love to be holding the meeting for the "Australian Discus Association", might get some new members too!