PDA

View Full Version : Geo Interest

AHC
Fri Sep 24, 2010, 02:20 AM
Hi All

What is the general consensis on keeping Geo's - do you generally keep one geo species in a tank or different geo species in one tank?

I am going to make a move into Geo world and set my tank back up as a geo tank.

Just starting to look into it so am firstly trying to agree on what species I want - whilst personally liking the all one species look, cannot decide.

ILLUSN
Fri Sep 24, 2010, 03:25 AM
1 species per tank as they can cross breed

AHC
Fri Sep 24, 2010, 04:10 AM
Hey Jothy,

I take it that = BAD. :shock:

Does this include like species such as Geo sp Rio Branco (Guyana) and Columbia/Venezuela (Abalios) or is it crossing Geophagus sensu stricto types with Gymnogeophagus eartheaters?

Sorry if I am sounding dense. New to these guys.

Setting up that tank of mine in about 4 months - I can't wait.

syxx
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 12:47 PM
i have never heard of Geo's crossing naturally with Gymno's, nor have i heard of distinctly different Geo's crossing. On top of that i strongly i doubt you would have fertile spawn even if they did.
Just to be safe i would not put Geo sp Rio Branco (Guyana) and Columbia/Venezuela (Abalios) together

patwilliamson
Thu Mar 03, 2011, 10:05 PM
I keep orange heads , Rio Brancos , and at times a whole host of them together , have never seen any cross breeding . If I was to be selling fry then species only would be the safe option.
I have kept geos with Discus , chocolate cichlids , fire mouths , bristlenose , whip tails , no problems at all . It all comes down to tank size and basicaly less aggressive types , all the best

Pat.

LEG-IT
Fri Mar 04, 2011, 06:35 AM
i keep f1 orangehead tapajos (actually from keiths old pair, not like some who pretend to have them :? ) got a group of 7 and 3 breeding pairs, female currently holding :lol: , also have a m/f pair of Geophagus araguaia orangehead, Breeding colony of Geophagus c/v, Possible Breeding pair of some Altifrons manaus, a colony of subadult geophagus rio brancos and will be getting some pindares soon.

I currently breed my tapajos in a species only tank incase they cross breed with the araguaia.

AHC
Mon Mar 14, 2011, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.