PDA

View Full Version : Taboo subject on Colour enhancers in Discus.

kevkoi
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 05:57 AM
I thought I would discuss this very touchy subject here after I had a very interesting conversation with fellow dicus keeper Wayne (Discusman).

On this subject, I would like to point out when and why colour enhancers are commonly used in Discus.

I start by saying there are generally 2 forms of colour enhancers used in Discus.... one is hormone based and the other is carotene/asthaxanthin (red) based. My reservations is more for the hormone based than the red based enhancers.

When are colour enhancers used?

Colour enhancers are usually used on 2 occasions...
1) young fish (7cm and under)
2) Show fish.

I shall start with the latter....
While I do not condone the usage of colour enhancers in show fish, it is almost inevitable in any Discus shows that some of the fish on display have had some 'make-up' put on them using colour enhancers. The words "Make-Up" was actually introduced to me by one very reputable Discus breeder in Penang. It is almost common practice that most discus put on competition have had some 'make-up' put on it. It is done.... no need to try and deny it. Can't stop it either.

While in judging, only 20% of the points are awarded for colour, it is usually more than enough to decide which fish wins and which doesn't. HOWEVER, on a different note, most discus show fish are often just that.. fish grown up for show purposes. They are usually not breeding stock. Show discus are grown up very quickly with lots of food and lots of water changes. BIG fish are rewarded. Younger fish (12-18months) have generally better skin lustre and quality so people interested in showing usually want to grow show fish to huge proportions in the shortest period of time (7-6inches sometimes!). These big boofy fish usually don't make very good breeders IMO. They are often males.. often very agressive and often too fat to have any interest in reproduction. These fish are usually conditioned for show with colour enhancers 2-3weeks prior to a show to get all the intense colour showing for the judges. These sort of colour enhancers are not usually fed long term.

I have breeders in Penang that swear that even though some of their parent stock have been fed these colour enhancers, once taken off it, they still breed and have not shown any adverse effects to it. *I couldn't comment either way.*

Young fish on colour enhancers... Now, personally I don't condone it. Not because it is RUMOURED to 'ruin' fish or 'kill fish' (I have no evidence that it does such.. and until someone can show me scientific evidence otherwise, it is a RUMOUR.) I go at it as false advertising! It's not right to buy a fish that is beautifully coloured up when u get it and then the colour fades away after u keep it for a while! (That's like getting a white puppy dog, putting paint dots on it and selling it as a "Dalmation" :lol: !!) One should buy it for what it is worth and with propper keeping, the fish should only get more and more beautiful! I also do not condone certain breeders colour enhancing cheap poor quality Pigeons (which btw, they have kept them in soft water an in dark tanks to minimise dusting!.... Pigeons are not the best candidate to go into well illuminated tanks!!) with red enhancers and then calling them Marlboro red and selling them for more!! That to me is a wrought! A Marlboro red is a completely different fish!

The blame is not to be put on retailers here in Australia who buy these 'enhanced' fish and pass it on, but rather to some unscrupulous breeders (often times in Asia) that do this. I refuse to buy discus from any farm in Penang that has to 'enhance' their fish in order for them to sell it!!

Young fish at under 2.5" I never bother looking at the colouring of young fish anyway. Shape of the body and small eyes are what I look for.... And for that matter a tip to anyone purchasing young discus, Look at the shape of the fish first, and then next, look at the size of the eye!! The smaller the size of the eye in proportion to the body, the better and younger the fish! The fish should have it's fins erected and tall at all times. The fishes should start developing their true natural colours once they approach 3inch. At the end of the day, it is better to have a fish of good proportions and shape rather than a 'colourful' fish that has a long body and short fins.
*I have digressed*..

So the next time one of you discus enthusiasts walk into SLS, please don't point at the 4" leopard spotted snakeskins and say you want a fish like that but in a 2" fish..... I'll show you the DOOR~! :twisted:

We do not believe in colour enhancing our fish and expecting a 2" fish to have the colours of an adult fish is absurd. NO SUCH THING! We are proud of our young naturally coloured discus... I think they have great shape, tiny eyes, super responsive and I don't need to sell them colour enhanced!

:wink:

Thank you *steps down from soap box*.

Kev

PS: please don't ask us to provide you with hormone colour enhancers.

Proteus
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 09:25 PM
Very well stated Kev...

tennhound
Sun Mar 21, 2004, 03:11 PM
I agree very well said. I ahve one question though (yes only one for now). Isn't color enhancers about like dying a fish? Because dyed fish also lse their color over time.

MARIE

Mattzilla
Sun Mar 21, 2004, 11:01 PM
great topic kev, and i completely agree with you.

i do have one question....have you experienced any negative effects when using asthaxanthin in their food? i am considdering purchasing some to add to my b/h mix. do you stock it??

matt

kevkoi
Mon Mar 22, 2004, 01:42 AM
Asthaxanthin is a natural colour enhancer found in fish roe I believe. It's very commonly used in high grade koi food as well as salmon pellets (use that to colour up farm salmon flesh... so it looks nicer when we buy it at the fishmarkets!) I have never heard of negative effects of using asthaxanthin in regards to health of the fish.

It's only when breeders/shops used this in excessive concentrated amounts to try to make crappy poor quailyt yellow fish RED that I have a problem with. ;) .... false advertising!

Like everything else, use in moderation is the advice..

kev

Annie
Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:14 AM
Subject was nery nicely put.

Mattzilla
Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:02 AM
thanks for the help kev...

do you stock Astaxanthin at SLS?

kevkoi
Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:57 AM
No we do not stock pure asthaxanthin.... We do however have some White Crane "Red" which has asthaxanthin in it.

Mattzilla
Mon Mar 22, 2004, 05:02 AM
that's ok
i have found some pure Astaxanthin online

i have been told by several discus breeders to stay well away from white crane products as they contain hormones. have you heard this before??

matt