PDA

View Full Version : How big do angels get?

dazza5
Mon Aug 09, 2010, 11:22 AM
How big do angels get compared to the average Discus?

I am new to the aquarium stuff and i have angels atm but will getting some discus soon.

Mr Wild
Mon Aug 09, 2010, 11:36 AM
Its best NOT to mix angels with discus, they are fast agressive eaters while discus are slow, angels will dominate the tank.

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 10, 2010, 06:31 AM
body size just a little smaller than the palm of your hand, fins make them look bigger i'd say thet reach 4-5 inches body length.

as said above DO NOT MIX WITH DISCUS, the discus will hate it.

dazza5
Tue Aug 10, 2010, 09:00 AM
Sweet, thanks for the info.

I have 6 foot tank in the garage that the angels will get all to them selves, I actually have a breeding pair of angels now, 2 of them spawned in the comunity tank in the lounge room where the discus will go but they must ate the eggs over night, i might try and breed them if they do it again.

Should they have a tank to them selves if they are spawning like Discus? I have a 2 foot tank aswell, would that be big enough for 2 angels to spawn in and raise fry?

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 10, 2010, 09:54 PM
i breed mine in 2 foot tanks they seem fine let them loose 2 or 3 spawns in the community tank though, it helps stop egg eating in the futre.

dazza5
Wed Aug 11, 2010, 02:35 AM
sweet thanks.

they spawned about 3 weeks ago now but they havent done anything yet, they seem to be cleaning the leaf they laid on b4 but havent done it yet.

they are 2 male angels that are from the same batch when i bought them as babies, they are both fighting each other for the female, should i remove the one that didnt get to fertilise the first time?

Mickey C
Wed Aug 11, 2010, 03:22 AM
I had a male kill all other fish in the tank apart from his partner once - I didn't realise they were about to spawn until I woke up to an empty tank. I moved them to a (deep) two foot tank and they successfully spawned twice before they obviously had a disagreement one night and they killed each other! Took pretty big bites from each other too.

And humans are meant to be a violent race?!

dazza5
Wed Aug 11, 2010, 07:35 AM
wow!! sounds aggressive, I dont think my angels could kill some of the bigger fish in my tank but its definatly something i will be watching from now on.

the 2 foot tank i have is just a standard size one, you reckon that would be deep enough?

Mickey C
Wed Aug 11, 2010, 08:05 AM
I think it will be fine, I just happened to have one handy :)

I only had little fish at the time, so probably isn't usually an issue.

Mattzilla
Thu Aug 12, 2010, 02:02 AM
2 fter is more than enough for a pair

i have bred plenty in smaller tanks than that

goodoo
Thu Aug 12, 2010, 06:00 AM
Ive got a pair of angels in my disply tank with 6 discus. All i can say is know your angel. My male is pretty cool. He doesnt go on with it. And my male turqouise wrestles for dominence with him. all in all a very peacefull tank.

goodoo
Thu Aug 12, 2010, 06:25 AM
Im not recomending angels with discus. Be careful and make shore your angel isnt a prick.

dazza5
Thu Aug 12, 2010, 07:45 AM
the 2 big angels in the display tank are pretty cool, the problem angel has bee kicked allready, as soon as he was gone the 2 paired up and spawned.

I would prefer to not have angels with discus, they will have a 6 foot tank to them selves anyway so they will be ok with that.

thanks for the comments everyone.