PDA

View Full Version : Fluval Surface Skimmer

AdelaideAnt
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 05:34 AM
Has anyone used the fluval surface skimmer that attaches to the pick up of a canister. I've been thinking about testing this product as i seem to get a nice oil slick on the surface of my water. Or does anyone have any suggestions as to anoter product or another solution?

Anthony :8

Brad
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 05:55 AM
Is it actually a surface skimmer?

because if it is a protein skimmer they are no good in freshwater.

AdelaideAnt
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 06:01 AM
oops yes sorry it is a surface skimmer not protein thanks for correcting me :D

flukes
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 06:04 AM
yeah i know what your talking about, my mate bought one but didnt mke much of a difference and for $50 or what ever it costs your better off getting another discus.

Mr.Kuo
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 04:48 PM
Prevents surface film.
Prevents undesirable biological processes on the water surface.
Hence optimun exchange of oxygen.
Therefore light enters unimpeded for better plant growth.

Do u find lots of surface film in your tank?
Also, u can consider getting a good pump and air bubble and the bubbles can help break up the surface film.

Proteus
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 09:32 PM
good surface water movement and sufficient filtration should negate the need for a surface skimmer... just the breaking of the waters surface from a sponge filter or two is usually enough...

HTH

Komatose
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 09:39 PM
I bought one of these last week and have since taken it out as its very difficult to install in a manner that does not cause air locks in my canister.

Proteus is correct - the need for these are minimal with a reasonable surface agitation.

Not recommended!

Nick

AdelaideAnt
Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:55 PM
yes i have a surface film on my water, ive just installed a sponge filter so hopefully that will do the job.

Anthony 8)

PS: Thanks for your help people