PDA

View Full Version : applying a background

skoom
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 03:05 PM
i recently put up one of those plastic waterscape backgrounds behind the glass. At first I wet the plastic and scraped out the bubbles like you would when contacting books... so the background is tight against the glass and show off better colours...and not dull. However in days the moisture started to dry off and i am left with a dull background. Any tips on how to keep nice and bright? I was thinking of some kind of oil or lubricant.... anything anyone has used and been successful? THanks.

skoom

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:00 AM
Apply Vaseline to the back of the tank. It will hold the plastic background firmly against the glass, and doesn't dry out.

skoom
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 03:27 AM
thanks. i'll give it a try.

Mattzilla
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 05:28 AM
why not paint the back of your tank? looks great and leave a perfect job all the time with no mess

kalebjarrod
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 10:50 AM
i was gonna make some crude ky vs vas joke but i won't :wink:

seriously

vas is the way to go

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 14, 2005, 12:22 PM
And we all appreciate that restraint Ryan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jwight
Tue Mar 15, 2005, 04:24 AM
By and away the quickest, most effective, cheapest, safest option is to line the edges with double sided sticky tape. put the background on making sure it is flat with no bubbles and then cut off any excess. I have tried all the others and they do dry out after a while. Go with da tape.

Sime76
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 07:11 AM
does anyone have any tips on applying the vas and attaching the plastic backing? I'm doing it now and there are heaps of streaks and bubbles, its taking ages to work them out.

Sime

kalebjarrod
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 07:34 AM
use a plastic gyprock screed

looks like a plastic paint scrapper :wink:

revkev
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 11:34 AM
I seen some where on the net they used olive oil to stick a background on
just use an old credit card to smooth it out and remove the excess oil.
would this work ok? never tried it myself.
Revkev