PDA

View Full Version : brown ticks

skoom
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 02:57 PM
Dear Friends,

I recently have noticed multiple brown/cream coloured organisms (look like ticks...crawl around on drift wood and bare bottom). It has been about a week.

I have also noticed the fish are not pooing as much, but they are all eating well. 5 fish in a std 4 foot tank.

pH 6.8 Amm 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 40 Temp 30C

They don't look ill but I am just concerned it may affect them. They are not the little white worms that wiggle around...

Any clues?

Thanks.

skoom

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 28, 2005, 10:03 AM
Skoom can you get a pic of these little bugs. They sound like some sort of aquatic beetle that has hatched. Maybe the eggs came in on new driftwood or plants. Either way, they shouldn't be there, so try to syphon them out and put your driftwood outside, and pour boiling water over it.

That nitrate reading is pretty high. Try to keep it under 10 by increasing your waterchanges.

skoom
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 03:31 AM
Yeah I was trying to see if i could get away with twice weekly water changing and i guess it's not enough. Going back to daily routine.... just can't cut out the work....but i guess it's worth it.

I noticed they were all over the wood (as a source) and i have already boiled the wood and syphoned the rest of the bugs...

i've keep and eye out to see if there is another out break.... i thought it'd be better to get rid of them before they cause trouble.

thanks ladyred....always answering so promptly