PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint BN Growth Rate

TW
Mon Jul 12, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hi

I was wondering how long it is likely to take before a peppermint bn fry is too big to fit in an adult discus mouth?

ILLUSN
Mon Jul 12, 2010, 10:03 PM
bout a month, but discus like to hunt in packs so even though it wont fit in its mouth they'll still tear it apart if the mood takes them

Mr Wild
Tue Jul 13, 2010, 08:39 AM
Yep, one of my discus would line it up when the pep was on the wall and just swim straight for it crashing into it, the poor thing used to do a swan dive to the bottom of the tank and it was all over red rover. I no longer keep any BN with my discus.

TW
Wed Jul 14, 2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys.

This tank wasn't really meant for breeding & the peps in there are meant to be a cleaning crew to keep algae on my expensive BTN background in check. It's just a shame that it's this group that have bred. Not surprising I guess, because I purposely put my bigger peps in that tank, even though I still think of them as young adults.

I don't think there were many fry to start with, at least I only ever saw about 5. Currently 3 are still seen daily. I am making sure to keep a piece of zucchini wedged on top of the highest piece of driftwood, where the discus cannot go. I can nearly always spot the fry on the zucchini, so I'm hoping they stay there, where they will be safe.