PDA

View Full Version : would this be the ultimate breeding tank?

Sexalin
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 07:21 PM
I will recently be buying a tank specificaly for breeding discus but i need some help with the equptment. I was thinking of a 20 gallon High tank with a Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter 2(sponge filter by azoo) but i was wondering could i use a power filter and maybe a uv sterilizer on the breeding tank?
I would also be running a 100 watt ebo yager heater and a Pinnicle RO unit.

kalebjarrod
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 09:30 PM
i am not exactley sure of the brands you are talking about

you want to make sure that you don't create to much water movment in the tank. the powerfilter may be to much

and i was under the impression that a 29gallon would be the perfect size for breeding?

bitronics
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 08:22 AM
I will recently be buying a tank specificaly for breeding discus but i need some help with the equptment. I was thinking of a 20 gallon High tank with a Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter 2(sponge filter by azoo) but i was wondering could i use a power filter and maybe a uv sterilizer on the breeding tank?
I would also be running a 100 watt ebo yager heater and a Pinnicle RO unit.

Bio-filter is ok (AZOO is a TAIWAN product), cannot use power filter because it will kill the babies. and no need the uv sterilizer at all.

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 09:47 AM
Hi Sexalin and welcome to the forum. Is this your first venture into breeding. Your 20 gallon tank will be fine. I agree with William. A power filter will be too strong for a tank that size, but your air driven sponge filter will be adequate. Do daily waterchanges, and feed clean high protein foods. I don't use UV on my breeding tanks, but I do have it on the grow out tanks.

DiscusMan
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 12:26 PM
As stated. Low water movement in breeding tanks to help the male do his job if he a bit off target you dont want them all floating away and not fertilising the eggs.

UV to me means aiding in the removal of Gill Flukes. I use a big mumma on my tanks (45 watt and i have calculated that it is twice the power needed to kill all organism in the passing water at the flow rate i got ) as the babies are very very prone to being attacked at this vunerable stage and i beleive that it would be a miracle if your tanks at some stage dont have these buggers in them. So UV 100% on grow outs and im lucky in that my grow outs and breeders are on the same system so its all UV'd.

You dont need UV however and spawns in many places are grown up without them but for home hobbiers like you and I UV increases the amount of babies that survive to maturity.

Down side may be that these fish are then used to the super clean water the UV provides and may be more prone to attack when placed in a non UV enviroment. So if you are gonna sell them make sure you have a tank to move the bubbas into for a while to toughen them up and to make sure they are gonna be alright to sell to someone else.

Good luck on your breeding attempts.

Wayne