PDA

View Full Version : Digital PH tester's

Ben
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 10:15 AM
Do many hobbist use these digital ph testers?
i have heard good thing sand bad things about them and i would like to see if many people use them and what they think of them.

I found these ones at dick smith, seems like the cheapest but
might not be that good?

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42204bff0d8c48422740c0a87f9c06ee/Product/View/Q1416

thanks for the feedback,

cheers,
Ben

mistakes r crucial
Sat Mar 12, 2005, 08:19 PM
Hi Ben,

I've been using digital Ph and TDS meters for about 3 years and wouldn't be without them. I check the calibration of the Ph meter once a week but it rarely needs adjusting. I had to replace mine (Ph) after about 18 months as they do have a limited life span but in my opinion they are worth every cent.

Few words of warning though. If you drop it bang goes a hundred bucks. If you check your water directly in the tank and let go, bang goes another hundred bucks. I take the water from my systems in a coffee jar and test it for the above reason and also accuracy. I found testing moving water is not accurate at all. Also, testing water in plastic containers has given me readings that would make you panic, like 2.2 or 10 depending on whats been in them, I always use glass. HTH MAC

weird
Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:01 AM
I like using digital ph testers, takes the guess work out. There is some good posts in the forum. The Dick Smith one is alright, I had to take the first one back, but the 2nd one works fine.

AgeofAquariums
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:36 AM
Do many hobbist use these digital ph testers?
i have heard good thing sand bad things about them and i would like to see if many people use them and what they think of them.

I found these ones at **** smith, seems like the cheapest but
might not be that good?

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42204bff0d8c48422740c0a87f9c06ee/Product/View/Q1416

thanks for the feedback,

cheers,
Ben

Hi Ben,

We have the Supreme aqua PH Pens @ 75.00ea. Here is a link,

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod855.htm

BlackGhost
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 07:31 AM
Hey we use one at work on all our systems. Im getting one as soon as i get a discus tank. We had our for 3 years until i dropped it into the water. They are $99.00 and work wonders. We use it to do our free water test for all customers. All in All great things and worth every cent.

Mattzilla
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 07:40 AM
i have a d*ick smith one that works just fine...

goldenpigeon
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 08:39 AM
matzilla whats wrong with the word DICK? :?:
i know what ur getting at but according to the oxford dictionary Dick means an idiot :roll:

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 09:25 AM
This forum and all the other forums in the Aquadot Network are open to people of all ages, including youngsters. They have all been set up with an automatic censor, which filters out certain words. That just happens to be one of the words. You can still type it using 1 in place of the i as in D1ck Smith.

Mr.Tang
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 09:32 AM
Matt, how accurate is your D1ck Smith one??

goldenpigeon
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 09:48 AM
lol ok i didnt realise ladyred theres a bit to this forum :)

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the forum Mr Tang. The digital pH testers are very accurate but should be recalibrated using the supplied solution about once a month or so. You also need to test water that is not moving, so just dipping in the tank is not the best way. Better to dip a cup into the tank, and then test that water. Moving water seems to give false readings.

Mr.Tang
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome and the prompt reply Ladyred.

Think i'll visit d1ckies tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mattzilla
Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:20 AM
ditto..... what merrilyn said