PDA

View Full Version : help neded... S.O.S

EQ
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 08:57 AM
Hi, one of my wild Heckel is breathing with one gill only.
Does anyone know what's going on with the fish?

PH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
GH 100mg/L
KH 80mg/L
Temp: 30 c

It happened a few times before but back to normal again after 5 - 15 min.
today it's been like that for 30 minutes I am getting worried now.

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 09:09 AM
Usually a sign of gill flukes. Have you recently added new fish to the tank. How long have you had this fish, and have you ever treated him for flukes. Is this the only discus in the tank, and are the others showing similar symptoms.

Ben
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 09:24 AM
I agree with Merrilyn, those gills flukes can heavily invest the gills and the fish will breath on the side it is most easy to do so.
But dont stress it is easily fixed with aqua master , praziquantel, but dont buy the 25 tablets get the 100 tablet jar as you will need to do it again in 7 days. 1 tablet is used for every 20 litres water. it worms your fish too.

hth,,
Ben

EQ
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 01:53 PM
First of all thank for replying to my concerned.
The same symptom appear on the others. however, goes after 20 min or so.
what sort of prazzi would you guys recommend?

I hv a bottle of prazzi with a brand called aquarium science with a big wrting WORM-RID.
would that be good enough?

yesterday, I put 100 mg on the food and this morning my snake skin passing out long flat white poo, about 8 of those which I notice in the tank.
each about 25 cm long. what are those things?

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 28, 2005, 09:36 AM
Your fish are passing worm segments. That's a good sign, but make sure you vacuum up the worm segments from the bottom of the tank before the other fish eat them.

Praziquantal is the med that is used to treat both gill flukes an worms. Follow the instructions carefully, and don't stop the treatment early, even if the fish are looking better. You need to treat for the full recommended time to be effective.

EQ
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the direction on fluke mate.

Does Flukes are contagious or do they pass on to the other fishes?

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, gill flukes can certainly be passed on to the other fish in the tank. All the tankmates will need to be treated too.