PDA

View Full Version : Need discus identification

ugmo
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 05:44 AM
I just got this discus for free and was wondering what strain it is. It is very timid but can also attack my full sized angel fish!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/ugmo/P2260582.jpg

Cheers
Matt

leanne31
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 06:21 AM
Hi Matt i think it resembles a red melon but not sure might have to leave it up to the more experienced Merrilyn or Kev :roll:

dreamer
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 06:46 AM
my guess is red marlboro

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 09:03 AM
Think I agree with dreamer. A young marlboro red.

weird
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 09:25 AM
A very young one at that =)

leanne31
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 10:02 AM
Ok Merilyn, dreamer and Dave its thats a red marlboro whats this :?:

weird
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 11:14 AM
I am not sure. Dreamers right though unless he sold me offspring different from the parents which were striking. I have 6 approx 6 month year olds from him and they have the same coloration as the one mentioned in the link but much bigger and full bodied ... that's why I said the one in the link was very young ... mine are punky juvs.

The one in the pic is very likely a red marlboro as well. There was a similar discussion in a post before about red marlboros and comparing pics and seeing these differences. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Oh the other thing I forgot to mention is I once asked Kev and he commented it may have something to do with the food you feed ... I feed heavily discus dinner which I believe contains similar or same colaration as color bits so my guys may have the slightly full orange color due to that.

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 11:29 AM
Hmmmm, where's Kev when I need him. Okay, well it won't be the first time discus have made a fool out of me, so here goes. I think your fish could either be called a White Face Marlboro Red or Red Melon, depending on the farm where the fish was bred.

From the depth of the red colouration in your fish, I think it is more likely to be a Red Melon.

Okay, now I'm waiting to be shot down in flames :lol:

leanne31
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 11:37 AM
Well Merrilyn when I bought him from my lfs I was told he was a red melon and then I see some pics of marlboro reds and they look the same so Im not sure, but Ive had him for 2 months now and his colour is even more deeper and more fuller covering more of his body but his face is still white so Im confused.

weird
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 12:29 PM
Oh I see now, leanne you threw us a dosey with that one ... It thought you were sold him as a red marlboro

I am still waiting on my guys to change color to be more like their parents ... I heard somewhere that young discus don't change to their full color until older ... something about being a defensive thing while they are still young ... don't know how much truth is in that ... maybe some care to enlighten ?

dreamer
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 12:36 PM
looks like red melon to me

dave: mine is around 3" now ...they dont really look like the parents though ....strange....how big are yours now?

leanne31
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 12:55 PM
No Dave I was just curious what people thought as my fish does look similar to Matts top Picture Its just mine is a little brighter with more of a white face. Ive been to other websites and seen pictures that look Identical to mine and they say its a red marlboro so I dont know I think I ll just call it my red fella Leanne

weird
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 01:08 PM
Sorry Leanne is I misunderstood. I really like your guy btw.... be interesting to see if the coloration becomes my prominate as he/she ages.

Dreamer, same they are around the 3 inch mark or slightly bigger (body only). BTW they are all doing great , very healthy and have wicked appetites. Thanks mate.

ugmo
Sat Feb 26, 2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies. My lfs got him/her for free because he was being bullied in a customers tank. The boss gave him/her to me because it is alot calmer in my tank than having the glass tapped, people dipping their fingers in and high stock rates at the LFS.

It still hasnt eaten although it might still be recovering from stress. It is grazing on algae though.

Cheers
Matt