PDA

View Full Version : help..covering eggs with wire/mesh etc does it really work?

kinezo
Wed Feb 23, 2005, 09:27 AM
hi all
wondering whether who has tried covering there eggs with wire..

1.how many time did the parents eat the eggs b4 u placed a wire in..?
2. How far from the eggs do u place the wire?
3. what happens when the wriggles fall to the bottom??
4. Do they know how to attach to the parents when they free swim?
5. has anyone had free swimmers and had parents eat them then??

help.. as my pair have eaten eggs few times already... pretty sure there were some that are fertile... only some went white.. thanks

kinezo
thanks heaps

Trebs
Thu Feb 24, 2005, 06:25 AM
I've never done it. I've bred 5 pairs now and haven't found any of them to be consistant egg eaters. This is just my limited experience but I've found that discus only eat their eggs if something isn't right.

I'd be more concerned with your water conditions and the location of your tank. IMO discus eat their eggs because the ph/hardness isn't right or if they don't feel secure more than anything else.

Kaza
Thu Feb 24, 2005, 08:44 AM
My young pair ate their eggs at least 10 times before they finally started to look after them, it then took 8 attempts for the eggs to be fertile and then they ate the first lot of wrigglers. At the moment they have free swimming wrigglers and as yet havent eaten them. I know some breeders use wire but I think especially with young fish it is good to let them practice quite a few times before useing wire.

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 24, 2005, 09:37 AM
I've got to agree with Trebs and Kaza. It's a learning process. I've had had young fish successfuly raise their first spawn, and I've had others take ten or even more times before they got it right.

I've been tempted to use a mesh divider, but I worried it would make them more frightened, and determined to 'save' their fry from this metal monster.

bitronics
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 08:46 AM
hi all
wondering whether who has tried covering there eggs with wire..

1.how many time did the parents eat the eggs b4 u placed a wire in..?
2. How far from the eggs do u place the wire?
3. what happens when the wriggles fall to the bottom??
4. Do they know how to attach to the parents when they free swim?
5. has anyone had free swimmers and had parents eat them then??

help.. as my pair have eaten eggs few times already... pretty sure there were some that are fertile... only some went white.. thanks

kinezo
thanks heaps

for the new couple, better conver the eggs. make a triangel glass cover to cover the eggs; and be sure the water can flow on the eggs;
dont worry if the wriggles fall on the bottom;
they are born to know where to get food (body of their parents);
99.99%, the parents will not eat free swimmer babies.

hope useful to you?

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 09:57 AM
Thankyou William. That is very interesting. Do you have a picture of the glass cover you use, and please tell us if you use it for every young pair, or do you wait to see if they will eat their eggs first.

bitronics
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 11:31 AM
Thankyou William. That is very interesting. Do you have a picture of the glass cover you use, and please tell us if you use it for every young pair, or do you wait to see if they will eat their eggs first.

I immediately take the pix and hope you can see it :)

bitronics
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 11:34 AM
yes I use to all new couples. I will not use the glass cover until the new couple successfully taken big their bibies. Because for the 2nd time, they are experienced.

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 27, 2005, 11:36 AM
The picture is very clear. Thankyou very much.

bitronics
Wed Mar 02, 2005, 06:59 AM
TO BE CLEAR :)

bitronics
Wed Mar 02, 2005, 07:02 AM
TO BE CLEAR :)

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 02, 2005, 08:33 AM
Thankyou for those photos William. I have a red melon pair who have eaten their first two lots of eggs, and have just laid eggs again. I think I will use your method this time, and see how they behave.

bitronics
Wed Mar 02, 2005, 10:05 AM
Thankyou for those photos William. I have a red melon pair who have eaten their first two lots of eggs, and have just laid eggs again. I think I will use your method this time, and see how they behave.

great !!! Don't move out the cover until the babies can ALMOST swim. I also want to see the result :)