PDA

View Full Version : Genetics question

Mattzilla
Mon Mar 01, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hi,

I am about to breed one of my blue angelfish with a veiltail angel to try and create some veiltail blues...

my question is what strain/colour of veiltail would be best to cross with the blue to maintain to blue colour of the fry? i know not all of the fry will be blue and/or veiltail so i want to maximize the potential number of blue veils by choosing the best partner.

i have the following veils to choose from: golden, silver, or koi marble

if there is another colour varient that would be best i can try to track that type down as well

so i was wondering if anyone knows what genes are mordominant, or what genes would produce the most number of quality blue colours.

thanks for your help

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 01, 2010, 11:54 PM
Platinum would be the best followed by black you'll get blue in the F2 from a black cross.

with the stock you have silver would be the best choice, that way you'll preserve the blue sheen, possible even deepen the hue with the green sheen that silvers posess, koi would proably be the worst choice as you'll get other colors comming through with will overpower the blue sheen.

as far as dominance goes black, koi, marble, veiltail are dominant albino, pearl scale, platinum recessive, havn't done breeding experiments or observations on goldens but Cal might be able to help you. the silver angel phenotype seems to be co-dominant with everything as in fish bred from this show silver traits at varying levels of intensity.

Mattzilla
Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:00 AM
i thought you'd know the answer mate

hahaha

as always thanks very much