PDA

View Full Version : you can tell a lot about poo!

Ben
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:42 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about discus poo!
Wether it be milky, white, runny etc.
These are clearly bad poo, but what about good poo?!

I have noticed for quite some time when I siphon the glass bottom of my fish tanks, the discus poo almost looks like baby mice poo!

In all the years I have had discus I have never wormed them, they look healthy, eat like piranhas and generally have an excellent well being about them.
(As I mentioned in another topic just recently, should they be wormed?
Or if it aint broken, don’t fix it)

Is this good? Yep I know it might sound strange talking in depth about poo, but in the animal kingdom a lot can be said about there poo's.

I have an extremely varied diet with my discus,
I am starting to wonder if they are getting better fed than me!

Adults get fed 3 times per day,
Every day there is one feed of black worms and the other 2 feeds vary,
From frozen mysis shrimp, live brine shrimp (which I grow myself) and frozen brine shrimp, beef heart mix, frozen tubifex and on the occasion, discus breeders formula.

There has been a topic on constipation with discus, I believe that my discus do not suffer from this, but there poo's are alway's in perfect shape, like I mentioned baby mice poo.

What is our thought on ideal discus poo?

Anyway I have had enough talking about poo!

Cheers!

Kaza
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 11:42 PM
Yea mice poo sound about spot on

kevkoi
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 01:39 AM
When we talk about deworming, it is usually using praziquantel. These treat for tapeworm.

Slimy, white poo etc etc are not sypmtoms of worms. It is a symptom of hex which is NOT a worm.

U can have the "correct" poo but may have a fish full of tape worm. Only way to find out if you have tape worm is to do a treatment for it. U may be quite surprised at what comes out the other end considering you feed with live blackworms. :wink:

leanne31
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 02:02 AM
Ok i know if its thick and brown its supposed to mean they are healthy but what if its stringy brown poo is that ok also.

kkiu
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 03:00 AM
Mine sometimes poo really chucky bits. it comes out and looks like worms. Its prolly just the bloody worms i feed them that dont get fully digested. Thats my guess.

I hope its not a bad thing =/

Ben
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback Kev,
I heard on the grapevine you are totally against feeding live blackworms to discus.
I dont want to bring up the same old debate wether there bad or good, but lets say me discus are full of tape worms ,what would be the long term problems? because during the short term they are very healthy, active etc.

Its kinda ironic as i worm my self and my wife every year or there abouts with combantron.
i worm my dog every 3 - 5 months, but i dont worm my fish. to be totally honest i have never really thought about it because there are no negeative signs that show my fish have worms.
but thats not saying they dont have them.

I will go to my local fish shop and purchase some worming formula and give it ago in the near future.

anyway i stumbled across this on blackworms, its very interesting, even though it is a 3 year old article.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/foods_nutritions/livefood_cultures/blackworms.shtml

Ben
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 04:30 AM
oh one more thing,
i have some of that AQUACARE TAPEWORM POWDER, specific for discus, is it any good?
i recently got 1/2 container full, but i dont know much about it. has anyone heard much about it?or is there a better product available?

here is there website,

http://www.aquacare.com.my/products.htm

all of there products seem to be specific for discus only.