PDA

View Full Version : Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs

Ben
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 08:26 AM
Does anyone decapsulate there brine shrimp eggs?
I have searched the Internet to do it, effectively and efficiently. But I cannot find how to do it without the scientific jargon.

I would love to learn how to do it at so if anyone can tell me please let me know!

Thanks,
Ben

Also I have seen them for sale already done in America, are they available here in Australia?

But I would rather do it my self if the method were easy enough!

flukes
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:41 AM
If no one can reply, do a search on simplydiscus.com.au as i saw a thread some time ago which went into great detail...

Ben
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:08 AM
Cheers Flukes, found it , just without the .au

Ben
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:18 AM
for those that are interested here is the link

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/foods_nutritions/livefood_cultures/decap_brineshrimps.shtml

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:44 AM
Ben, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs are certainly available in Australia, but I find them very expensive to buy and the hatch rate is low. Unhatched decap eggs can also be fed to fry, without the bother of going thru the hatch phase, and is readily accepted.

When I have a new spawn, I keep two jars of eggs going, which hatch at 24 hour intervals, so there are always hatched shrimp ready to feed.

I have done the decap thing myself, using plain bleach, but I don't bother these days, and find the fry ignore the egg shells, should some find their way into the tank.

Ben
Fri Feb 25, 2005, 04:58 AM
i stubled across this method on the below link.

seems very straight forward.

cheers
http://discusasahobby.com/forum/index.php?topic=358.0

lesley
Tue Mar 08, 2005, 11:20 PM
Hi guys,

does anyone raise the brine shrimp after hatching them? Seems like it would be a useful (and cheaper) way of feeding fish.

Thanks, Lesley

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 09, 2005, 01:24 AM
Hi Lesley, I'm doing that now in a big tub in the back yard. I'm feeding them on prepared brine shrimp food, but there has got to be a cheaper way of feeding them.

I'll let you know how it goes.