PDA

View Full Version : What age do discus breed

Rgoganj
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 05:13 AM
Hello DF,

I was wondering if someone could let me know at what age do discus start to breed ?

Thanks.

I've done a search but could not find anything :oops:

kevkoi
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 06:12 AM
12-18months generally.

Rgoganj
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks Kev.

flukes
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 09:37 AM
That doesnt mean they are sucessful in those months though. :wink:

Ive had one pair start ealier, but another pair who started at a later age had fry on their backs first..

weird
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:54 AM
My young guys started at around 12 months. And I agree with Flukes ... mine a funny parents ... still learning the ropes and are very care free now on the 5th attempt ... every 2 weeks

sunshinediscus
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 07:49 PM
Normally start breeding at around 7/8 months although it varies between specimens. I don't buy into the theory young pairs make bad breeders, my record is 228 fry from a first time pair less than 8 months old. That wasn't a rare one off case either, it can regularly happen if the breeder allows it but most breeders prefer to let new pairs practise in a community for some unknown reason. If i see a new pair courting in a growout tank and i want them together then straight to the breeding tank they go and i would say 50% chance of success.

Rgoganj
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the replies,

Next silly question (sorry), can you tell by size what age a discus is?

Thanks

(Sorry for the silly question)

A1pryo
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 10:46 PM
I have a pair of red marlboros that paired off about the 8-10mths of age, on there 3rd spawn successful after placing in there own breeding tank

I have checkerbords 16-18 +mth old have spawned at least 2o times before getting it right so age doesnt seem to make any difference when it comes to a succesful spawn.

Merrilyn
Sat Feb 19, 2005, 03:58 AM
No such thing as silly questions on this forum. Even after years of experience, we are all still learning.

Size is no indication of age. It all depends on the way the fish has been raised. Good food and clean water will maximise the growth potential, but poor conditions can stunt growth. Generally you should look for a small eye in camparison to the size of the fish. A large eye on a small fish means it is older than it's size would indicate, and is unlikely to grow into a large fish.