PDA

View Full Version : 2 Eheims in Line

TW
Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:32 PM
To increase the filtration to a tank, my idea is to install a 2nd filter in-line. The lead filter could one of either:-

* eheim pro II 2028
* eheim pro II 2026; or
* eheim 2224

the filter I'm thinking of adding in line is the classic 2217.

Is there a way to do this. Can the lead filter be the one that powers the 2nd cannister (ie, no need to plug in the 2217)?

I have no idea if this is at all possible, but I have a reason why I prefer not to have one filter at either end, or want the multiple in/out tubes messing up the look of the tank. So I thought that setting them up in line would give me the benefit of increased capacity for beneficial bacteria, but with only one filter consuming electricity & messing up the tank with it's in/out tubes.

Any thoughts anyone?

BobbyBruce
Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
Hi Robyn,

Not sure if this would work but if it was me giving it a try (and I would try before setting it on a tank), would be.........

Position the 2217 at a height above your 2028 (or other option) and remove the impeller. Set up so that the syphon drains into the 2217 then into your "lead" canister which would then simply be uplifting the normal amount of water syphoning in. The only draw back I see to this it that you are going to be reducing the flow rate (smaller hose on the return side) going into your lead filter.

I believe you are also setting a UV into the system and this may reduce the efficiency of the system overall to such a degree that it would not be worth the effort, ie, robbing Peter to pay Paul, or losing on the merry-go-rounds and picking up on the swings.

Regards,

Bob

Greggy
Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:00 PM
I would connect them in parallel, so that a single intake and outlet tube can run both filters, perhaps using T tubes. You would probably need to use larger intake and output tubes to accomplish this properly without hurting flow rate, but Eheim have all the parts you need to do this.

I would not run them in series (one after the other). For instance, if your 1st filter converts virtually ALL the NH3 and NO2 into NO3 then apart from extra mechanical filtration the second filter is almost useless.

Cheers

Greggy

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 21, 2009, 10:44 PM
Its been done

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11079&highlight=eheim

just remember to only power one of your canisters the 2nd one in the series