PDA

View Full Version : Which small sucking catfish for the Discus tank.

RDavies
Sun Nov 15, 2009, 02:13 PM
I have snails and Sterbai Corys as clean up fish in my new 6' tank. I would like to add another small Algae eater to the tank while it is settling down. I would like a sucking Catfish to help with glass cleanup, but didnt want something which would grow huge and suck on the Discus or grow too big for a predominantly Discus tank. Which smaller Cats would you recommend as an Algae eating catfish to cover the areas the Cories and snails miss while the tank cycles for Discus?

TW
Sun Nov 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
I have never had a problem with an Otocinclus (Oto for short) and include them in all my discus tanks. Some other types do get a taste for sucking on discus slime coats. Some people have also had the same experience with otos, but I haven't found this the case. If you do see the algae eater sucking on the discus, you must remove them. Once they get a taste for it, they will harras the poor discus no end.

Make sure it is a true oto you are buying, as a LFS will often mis label and sell a common sucking catfish as an oto.