PDA

View Full Version : clown loaches

chris
Sun Feb 13, 2005, 09:27 AM
Hello, Ive recently added 2 clowns loaches to my tank, there only little guys about 2inches, they dont seem to eat. They hide all day under a bit of drift wood, One of them comes out late in the evening.One is more out going than the other.
I was just woundering if this is there nature or have I got a pair, because I had 2 that acted this way ages ago.

weird
Sun Feb 13, 2005, 11:11 AM
A few moves ago, when I moved my clown loaches they did not come out for 2 weeks from a cave. How long have they been acting this way ? However they might be coming out at night.

leanne31
Sun Feb 13, 2005, 12:50 PM
If they're new to the tank it may take a little while to work out its safe enough to come out. I have 3 in my tank and they do mainly come out during feeding and at night. I've also been told they like to be kept in groups of three who knows if thats true or not.

jaylox
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 02:39 AM
i wouldnt worry about no seeing them, ive known it go weeks without seeing them lol they are funny little fish,mine goto bed at 11pm every night you can set ya watch by them lol

cya jay

DR.V
Sat Apr 02, 2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah they just a bit shy ^^

chris
Sun May 15, 2005, 10:40 AM
Here is a late, late update. Well the Loache that didnt eat pasted away about a month ago from not eating I presume, but the other hes a raskel he is out all of the time and growing.
I was under influence that they like to be in numbers, this guy lives by himself and goes alright.

Merrilyn
Sun May 15, 2005, 01:28 PM
Nice looking tank you've got there Chris.

leanne31
Tue May 17, 2005, 01:04 AM
They do do ok by themselves Chris but your also right on the fact that they like numbers they do best in a group of three.

Leanne

Sutto
Sat May 21, 2005, 12:15 PM
How do Clown Loaches go with Discus? not too active are they?

Katie
Sat May 21, 2005, 12:33 PM
I didn't like having one in with mine. He was to bossy for my likeing.

jim
Sun May 22, 2005, 11:17 AM
they grow pretty big...I have 2x 15cm clown loaches in my 4 ft tank...too big for me and my discus...I am hopeing to sell it ASAP..

Blue
Wed May 25, 2005, 11:08 PM
Clown loach are funny lil things. Up until they are 2 inches they are constantly on the go and then they seem to chill out and play dead when they get bigger, its a weird bthing.

Barry

LIverpool.

skoom
Thu Oct 06, 2005, 02:19 PM
I am thinking about adding some loaches to my discus tank in the near future.

Are they compatible? I once had some fancy goldfish with loaches and they just kept on sucking on the goldies slime overnight till death..... Discus are a big target.......

any tips?

sammigold
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 03:59 AM
I have two loaches in my tank with my discus and I do sometime notice them with the discus but they don't do it constantly and the discus don't seem to mind, they don't get freaked out.. anyway here is a picture of them. Mine are out and about all day everyday. They like to lay next to each other and play...

skoom
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 12:38 PM
I have a bare bottom tank with only a few pieces of drift wood. You think they'll like their potential setup? Probably not huh?

goldenpigeon
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 11:52 PM
i have 2 clowns in my 6fter. they do great and grow well. once they get big im gonna set up a cichlid aqua for them to go into

oscar
Sat Oct 08, 2005, 11:19 AM
At the risk of repeating what has already been said, they are OK with discus, but when they get larger i feel they interfere with the discus feeding as the clown loaches are a very active feeder.

African cichlids can handle them Ok because they are also very agressive feeders.

Many will tell you that young clown loaches don't travel well but i personally have never had a problem. I recommend getting them as small as possible you you can leave them in your discus tank for a greater period of time before you have to try and catch them to swap them out for new small ones. I've found that they are a fairly wiley character when you need to catch them.

Davo
Mon Oct 17, 2005, 09:45 AM
I second what Oscar stated. I have 2 x 15cm plus clown loaches and when it is feed time they do become very greedy. They do not really bother the discus but they are very quick and eat alot of the food before the discus.

I would gladly sell them but my other half would casterate me if I did as we have had them since they were about 4cm.

Dave.

PS. What sort of price do you think I would get for them?

Cliffeh
Wed Nov 09, 2005, 05:13 PM
I would gladly sell them but my other half would casterate me if I did as we have had them since they were about 4cm.

Dave.

PS. What sort of price do you think I would get for them?

What price for the clowns or for the left overs form the castration owww? :oops:

I have half a dozen small clowns in my 100g tank, great little characters and good for keeping the gravel sparkling clean. When they get big enough they are going to be my excuse for getting my 50g spare tank out of the shed :)

weird
Thu Nov 10, 2005, 01:06 PM
Go the clown loaches ! I probably would not team them with Discus again, I am becoming a Discus only tank sort of guy.

dotcomguy
Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:22 AM
i have 2 clown loaches & they're about 3 inches, they go very well with my discus & 2 plecos. and like what they've said they are active eater.

fishes zd
Sun Dec 18, 2005, 10:52 PM
I know this is an old thread but hey someone might see it!

I have four 3" clowns & they are total pigs at feed time. They gang up and eat all of the food, including the discus dinner - very frustrating.

My four discus are only 2-3" and I have only had them for 2 weeks now. I am getting worried they are not eating enough and find I tend to over feed just to make sure they get something. I just have to watch ammonium and nitrite levels constantly.

I love my clowns but it is either sell them (dunno if that's possible) or set up another tank for them. Also clowns in a planted tank is challenging - I always have salad mix floating on the top each morning after an active night! But hey that is bearable.

So much to learn - never a dull moment in aquaria tfs!

Kerry
<_><|