PDA

View Full Version : SPAMING on DF!!

kevkoi
Thu Mar 18, 2004, 08:05 AM
:evil: :x NOT HAPPY!
Gee, always thought Discus farms were these friendly nice cottage industry ppl who love their discus..... Seems times have changed and a certain discus farm has gone into the business of SPAMMING internet users!

NOT IMPRESSED!!

Is there any way of blocking/not allowing our emails to be used freely on spam mail. :?:

kev

Proteus
Thu Mar 18, 2004, 12:34 PM
I must say you had me in a panic Kev...

Spamming from DF, I thought you meant DiscusForums... or at least I hope that isnt the case...

Can you please explain a little more... I am confused... There are ways to block emails, or at least filter them, and maybe as a combined group we can send a message that spamming will not be tolerated...

kevkoi
Thu Mar 18, 2004, 10:45 PM
It was filtered, but when I checked the 'junk email box' (which I do because sometimes the filters get it wrong), there it was.... an email from a certain farm in Thailand!

I believe a number of other members also alerted me to this....

:)

kev

Proteus
Thu Mar 18, 2004, 11:11 PM
Was it one you deal with???

(I hope not) :twisted:

:wink:

kevkoi
Thu Mar 18, 2004, 11:45 PM
:lol: If it was I would have called him straight up and told him off that it was NOT COOL! :lol:

Unfortunately most of the breeders I deal with aren't exactly 'tech savy'... Can see them fumbling around with their mobile phones. Hell, some don't even know how to work their text message! :twisted:

No Thai Discus for me.... :wink:

Brad
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 03:18 AM
I received that BS e-mail from a certain farm also.
Would have only got my address from here.

Proteus
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 03:22 AM
Can someone please send me a copy of the email via PM, and I will see if something can be done about it...

I do not like members information to be used for non-site affiliated purposes...

flukes
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:48 AM
Just a warning to everyone most spamers copy and paste emails so if you put AT instead of @ then it wont see it as a email. I am not saying it will stop all spam together but it will help and if we know everyone on the forum is doing it then we wont have the problem of people saying the email doesnt work (because they cut and paste it)

eg.
flukes(AT)optusnet.com.au

Proteus
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:52 AM
Good point Scott...

also, it is a good idea to use the PM facility to provide contact details...

(thats what it is for... PRIVATE messaging)

flukes
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:53 AM
smart thinking 99.

Annie
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 06:09 AM
I wish I would of seen this post sooner. I also recieved this spam.
It was Kitty Discus Farms or something...Dang..wish I would of saved it.

flukes
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 07:45 AM
Annie, delete the name of it please...
Its just advertising it more!!
heheheheh
we dont want them getting free advertising. Its bad enough they spam our emails!!

Cheers
Scott

Proteus
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 12:57 PM
Actually, I would prefer Annie to leave the name there... so we all know who to avoid...

If there is one way to lose customers, that is the way to do it...

There is an area on this forum to announce breeders, importers, etc, but due to the actions of one... they will never have the opportunity of conducting any business on this site... PERIOD!!!

Annie
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 06:15 PM
I won't delete the name, as I agree. This will help others if they get the spam. I tried looking up all surrounding names with that name on Google search, but I could not find anything. :evil: ..I know it was something very close to that name I have listed.

Proteus
Sat Jun 26, 2004, 02:12 AM
It has happenned again.

I have heard from Tennhound, who has also recieved the email.

To: <XXXXXXXX@XXXXXXXX.XXX>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 5:58 AM
Subject: KITTI DISCUS FISH FARM

Dear Sir and Madam,

We are Thailand "s Premier Exporter of Live Fish . We specialize is the
Discus Fish.
We have been sending Fish All OVER THE WORLD for 31 years, We have The Experience And The Knowledge to safely Ship Fish into Any Country , Including yours !

We are Glad that you are Interested in Our High Quality . BEAUTIFUL DISCUS, HIGH FIN
And Now is a Great Time to buy . We are having a SPECIAL PROMOTION for You , Our Valued Customers .
Please Act Quickly as We need to received Your Order on June 28 ,2004 in Order to Give you THIS SPECIAL DISCOUNT Grant Big Discount 20% from our Price list.

Our Promotion Big Grant discount will finish on June 28 ,2004 .

ENCLOSED is your DISCOUNTED PRICE LIST of Our Discus Fish . Please
Indicate Items you would like to purchase . THE Moment We received your Order . We will ship The fish to you .
Please Feel Free to Contact Us If you need Any Further Information ,

Thank you Again for
You Interest In Our Unique and AMAZING DISCUS FISH !!!

We look Forward to Hearing From you Soon .

Sincerely Your,

www.kittidiscus.com
( KITTI DISCUS FISH FARM )

Firstly, I am not a valued customer of that companies, and never will be...

I urge everyone to boycott companies such as this who use deceitful methods to send SPAM... cause thats all it is JUNK MAIL.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

luvfishies
Sat Jun 26, 2004, 03:42 AM
Yeah, got that one too. No price list, atrocious Engrish, the whole shebang.

UGH

nicholas76
Thu Jul 01, 2004, 07:19 AM
say dont they have nice fish???

i got that one ages ago , not sure how they got my personal address

owell if only i could import for myself!

Annie
Wed Jul 07, 2004, 04:30 AM
Hey, that is the one I told you I got!!
SPAM!!! HATE IT!!!