PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy Section

Proteus
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 05:34 AM
As part of upcoming changes and upgrades to this forum and website we will be adding a Group Buy section.

For those that are not aware of it's purpose or what it provides members, here is a brief summary.

A group buy can be organised by a member here, or an approved commercial entity/retailer. A specific product is offered at prices well below what would normally be paid on the premise that a large number of people will be part of the buy.

For example, a T5 light might normally retail for $250, however, if 10, 20 or more members wanted to be part of the Group Buy, the price may end up being $125-$150. The more people involved, the cheaper the item gets.

To try and organise a few start up group buys what sort of products, brands, etc would you like to see to kick things off.

Based on your replies, a poll of the most popular items will be started to see what should be offered or sourced.

If the product involved is a powder or liquid (i.e. Buffer or Trace element) a preferred size is also required.

You don't have to limit your suggestions to just one item each either...

:D

ILLUSN
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 06:15 AM
i think the staples are of the biggest benifit to all members, water conditioners, buffers and filter media (biochem zorb, purigen etc) even matrix or ehim substrate would be my top choices. that being said Seachem whould be my first choice. nothing beats prime and safe for value and performance. we always go through these first and they are the biggest ongoing cost after power and food.

on the food side would like to see a group buy on hikari foods, tetra foods and sera foods.

next up would be mid term items like lights, heaters etc.

Mr Wild
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 06:50 AM
I would love to see Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef bought in.

Eheim heaters

Breeder sponge filters

Aquasonic Amazon 5L Bottles

Geo Liquid for Discus

Think thats about it for me, I seem to always let my water go below the heaters so Eheims are for me!

mcloughlin2
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 06:54 AM
I think it is easier for someone to pick a in demand product and then offer it as a group buy rather then ask for suggestions. eg I offer to organise a group buy for 500ml bottles of prime. If there isn't enough takers then the deal falls through.

lpiasente
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:09 AM
prime for sure

Proteus
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:13 AM
I think it is easier for someone to pick a in demand product and then offer it as a group buy rather then ask for suggestions. eg I offer to organise a group buy for 500ml bottles of prime. If there isn't enough takers then the deal falls through.

The reason for suggestions is purely to get a couple of group buys in place through contacts or by arranging something myself.

It will also serve as a bit of market research as to what sort of products we need to get retailers to offer members at discounted prices.

Whilst 500ml Seachem Prime might be ideal for some, others, such as myself only ever buy Prime in 2L sizing, I don't really use Buffer's, many here do, etc etc

Generally the in-demand products are usually priced very competitively, as is, with not much room for retailers or suppliers to move, so whilst a discount is a discount, slower moving items, especially things that we do use offer a bigger opportunity for discount, i.e. Canister Filter Pads, Chemical Filtration Pads (HBH Phosphate Pads, etc), Breeding Cones, etc

TW
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:43 AM
I only buy my Prime, Seachem Excel & Seachem Flourish in 2L sizing too. So I'd be interested in group buys for those products. Eheim canister filter pads too.

mcloughlin2
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 08:16 AM
As I said it was an example :lol:

ILLUSN
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:31 AM
love it!!!!!

TW
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 12:57 PM
Sure mcloughlin2, I knew it was an example and :lol: my reply about 2L size wasn't targeted at you. More of a response to Proteus , who I thought was looking for suggestions (or a bit of market research). If the forum gathers enough indicators about members preferences (eg what brands, what sizes, what type, etc) then it might be easier for someone to come up with the first group buy idea. He already has at least a preliminary idea if people might be interested :wink:

Robdog
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 02:25 PM
How about we have a group buy of DF.com mini buses in each capital city that do weekly cruises of popular LFS and we support them for a change and that way avoid good shops going down the gurgler like has happened in recent times?

*please take note that the "tongue in cheek" emoticon has not yet been made available :wink:

vanessa messig
Sat Nov 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
Great Idea!!
I would be interested in lighting including UV, Seachem Flourish, Eheim Canister Filter pads, basically products which need regular replacement. Maintenance can be expensive!

vitara1
Wed Nov 18, 2009, 10:25 PM
T5 lighting and pondmaster uv sterilizer would be good at a cheaper price.

Hassles
Mon Aug 09, 2010, 12:00 PM
What Do We All Have In Common?

dechlorinator & heaters - these can't be avoided.

too many options for filters (including media) - big tank V little tank V breeding tank etc

Not everyone uses air-pumps, Far too many options with food etc but a bargain buy is a bargain buy

take care