PDA

View Full Version : Drum for water ageing?

Sean
Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:11 AM
Can someone please advise on what you may recommend for keeping aged water in. So it is ready, heated and pH/hardness adjusted to use when changing water for discus tanks. I was thinking of a plastic wine barrel arrangement, but think it will take up too much room and look too ugly to be in the house. Keeping a barrel in the shed would use a lot of extra electricity to keep heated too :? any ideas?

Ben
Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:42 AM
I have the best item for such a thing!
Go to a large bird supplier or a bird seed factory and they sell these large blue plastic drums which are used to keep bird seed. They range in size from 100 litres and up to 220 litres. And they are a lot cheaper than a simalar thing brought from Bunnings. It should not cost you more than $50 for a large drum. These same drums are rather skinny and quite high, so in as far as room goes they are rather handy.

i hope this helps, also, i guess with heating, you just have to wear the cost!

weird
Wed Feb 09, 2005, 07:14 AM
Thats a new one prodigydiscus ! :idea: I like your ideas !

Aurora
Wed Feb 09, 2005, 07:50 AM
I brought a 200L black plastic container from Bunnings for $49.95.

kalebjarrod
Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:41 AM
www.drumpak.com

funny site all sorts of drums :wink:

Kaza
Sat Feb 12, 2005, 05:41 AM
Sean there is a place in Lonsdale that Simon reccommended that you can buy 220 litre barrels they even drill the holes and fit the connectors etc. Cost $40.00, I certainly wouldnt have one in the house, but I have mine outside I age the water for 2 days and turn 2 heaters on in the morning by 5.00pm the water is around 30. I use a 200 and 300 watt heater, you possibly wouldnt need both heaters.

I got my pro aqua heaters for $12.00 on line from The Age of Aquariums a special price for the 300 watts. I also ordered a couple of Aqua Pro 1500 LPH filters for only $90.00 each. Great price and you never know when you will need another filter. Cheers Karen

flukes
Sat Feb 12, 2005, 07:59 AM
Meantioned this a hundred times but for new member that live in Melbourne go to Ideal Drums in Cheltenham. For $25 you can get a 200ltr barrel like the wine barrels but its used for herbs. Also if you lucky you can get bigger ones depending on what they have at the time..

Ben
Wed Feb 16, 2005, 07:31 AM
I went to where FLUKES mentioned and i drove away with a car full of drums!, well only 2 because only 2 would fit!

Here are the details:
Ideal Drum Co Pty Ltd

3 Wandarri Crt Cheltenham VIC 3192
ph: (03) 9583 9244 Drum Manufacturers, Reconditioners &/or Dealers

I bought a 220 drum with lid for $25-
and a 200 litre drum without a lid for $10,

The drums are food safe/quality.
One of the drums still hade some pitted green olives in it! and the other smelt like those pickles from McDonalds!

I gave them a good wash with bleach and they have come up brand new!

ctvu
Wed Feb 23, 2005, 09:49 PM
I went to where FLUKES mentioned and i drove away with a car full of drums!, well only 2 because only 2 would fit!

Here are the details:
Ideal Drum Co Pty Ltd

3 Wandarri Crt Cheltenham VIC 3192
ph: (03) 9583 9244 Drum Manufacturers, Reconditioners &/or Dealers

I bought a 220 drum with lid for $25-
and a 200 litre drum without a lid for $10,

The drums are food safe/quality.
One of the drums still hade some pitted green olives in it! and the other smelt like those pickles from McDonalds!

I gave them a good wash with bleach and they have come up brand new!

That is where I went to but my car is too small for even 1 drum, so I did not buy from there. I got another resource which is even better, they can deliver to your door :) :) @ no extra cost I should say, exactly the same drum sold at Ideal drum Co.

Do you guys know "TRASH & TREASURE" in Wantirna ? it happens only Sunday, there is a guy selling drums only nothing else, I forgot his name sorry, and I bought last year 4 drums the blue one 220L sold at Ideal drum Co only $20 each, all drum ofcourse comes with lid.
I am not so sure he is still in business or not. But I will check when I go again since I want to buy some more.

HTH

ctvu

Ben
Wed Feb 23, 2005, 10:24 PM
cheers, ctvu!
lets us know if he is till there.
it was a tight fit in my VW golf! the drums only just fit either side by about 5mm!!

i might buy a couple more so i can put the used water from the tanks into a drum and nock up a pump so i can run it out on the garden or on the lawn.

as it seems to be a huge waste, i worked it out that i am useing more than 2000 litres of water per week just for my tanks!

cheers,
Ben

Ben
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 05:18 AM
Here is a pic of a water drum i am using.
As you can see it is quite high so i let gravity to its job when filling a tank.
Normal garden hose clips onto the tap and presto!

I have a air stone running into the top, with a 300 watt heater.
as you can see i have a couple more drums in the back ground.

I am getting a frame made up that will take 3 more drums on the top with a shelve in the middle that will hold 3 x 2 foot tanks.

cheers,
Ben

skoom
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 11:36 AM
anyone know of a good place to get a good drum in Sydney?

DR.V
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 12:07 PM
Reserved garbage in Marrickville sell drum for $5-$20 depending on size. Good quality

Del
Wed Mar 23, 2005, 09:51 PM
White pages search did not come up with anything - do you have details Dr V?

DR.V
Thu Mar 24, 2005, 12:47 AM
It in corner of Illawara Road and Addison Road , Marrickville . There will be a sign saying RESERVED GARBAGE and arrows, just follow them. If you buy lots from there , they'll just charge u $10 or $15 per bag. ( very big bag )

ctvu
Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:20 AM
For Melbourne people, especially Ben

I went there (Wantirna Trash & Treasure) last week and the week before as well I did not see him at all, I thought he was out of his business, and today I was about to post this to let you guys know what I thought then he rang me :o :o I could not find any his business card and he never rang me before neither it is very nice surprise. Anyway he said he was back his home Chile for holiday and this Sun he will be there his name is Raymond. So thought I'd let you guys know.
Tip: you guys can bargain with him if you buy a lot.

HTH

ctvu

Ben
Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:30 AM
cHEERS CTVU!

Thanx for the tip!
i was thinking the bottom 3rd of the large drums could be cut and turned into a kind of grow up tank?
problems is the fish would be hard to see!
anyway, just an idea..

Ben