PDA

View Full Version : setting up my new sump

dean_alicia
Wed Sep 02, 2009, 10:46 AM
hey guys,

i was given a sump for my new 6x2x2 tank that is arriving soon. i have never used a sump before and wanted advice on the order of the media..
it has 5 sections, one for the pump and the others for media.
what i have is:
matrix - looks like small stones
aqua one noddles - same size and stone but with holes in the middle.
black foam like panels.
fine white wool like pieces.

i was thinking the order should go from where the water comes in - matrix, noodles, black foam stuff, the fine wool, and them pump. is this correct?

Hollowman
Wed Sep 02, 2009, 12:00 PM
Take a look here

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18486

dean_alicia
Wed Sep 02, 2009, 12:25 PM
thanks hollowman i did see that post, i just still a little confused as i have never used a sump b4 and wanted to no if what i have is ok and in the right order..is my order correct.

Hollowman
Wed Sep 02, 2009, 05:57 PM
Well, in my sump, I use a bed of reasonably coarse sponge, on top of which I have a layer of filter floss to catch any big particulate waste that gets drawn out of the overflow from the tanks. The sponge is a good first filter as it has a good surface area. Next I have Alpha Grog, it is a stone like media taken from furnaces, a bit like pummis stone, it is light and full of microscopic holes that get colonised by bacteria. Next I have bio-balls, a high surface area plastic ball, next more alpha grog then I have a free chamber for the recirculating pump an Eheim 1262 and I have a 500watt titanium heater.

What you have will be ok, just make sure you have enough of it(media) and mature the filter well before you hook it up to any fish. I did a fishless cycle using pure ammonia which took 4 to 5 weeks, feeding each day until I got the right readings, and the sump was ready to go.

dean_alicia
Wed Sep 02, 2009, 10:12 PM
no problems thanks again.

coldfusion
Thu Sep 17, 2009, 07:57 AM
where did you get the alpha grog from?

Hollowman
Thu Sep 17, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hi Cold'

I am in the UK so I got it from my discus supplier. Might be worth the locals chipping in here :wink: