PDA

View Full Version : Milky poo?

Rgoganj
Mon Feb 07, 2005, 11:51 PM
Hello DF,

All I can say is what is wrong now, while doing a routine check of the tank, I noticed the one of my Discus was leaking white milky poo (I think its poo), at first I thought it might be diarrhoea but at closer look it looked more like semen (sorry but that the best description).

The Discus is only 5-6 cm in length and is the one that is being bullied by the others. Its fine in colour (Blue diamond), not going dark, eats and swims around, not hiding.

Thanks

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 08, 2005, 06:38 AM
White jelly-like feces is always a sign of something wrong. Two thing come immediately to mind, the first is worms, and the second is hexamita.

Ninety percent of all discus diseases are related to stress, and the two greatest causes of stress are bullying and water condition. So, let's eliminate the water quality problem first. Do a 30% water change for the next four days, and thoroughly clean the tank, syphoning the gravel (if any) and wiping down the insides of the tank walls.

Next, if the fish is showing no signs of recovery, and no further symptons have developed, I would worm the fish with a good tape worm remedy from your local fish shop.

If the fish starts to show other signs of disease, refusing food, dark colour, clamped fins or pus filled craters start to appear in the head region, then it looks like hexamita and you will have to treat with Metronidazole. This can sometimes be obtained from your vet or as a last resort, from your local doctor. Most will oblige if you explain the reason for the request.

Keep us posted on the progress. HTH

Rgoganj
Tue Feb 08, 2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the reply Ladyred,

Water changes are 20% per day by syphoning the gravel, wormed the fish 2 weeks ago with “fluke and tapeworm”.

The faeces is not really jelly like it was more like milk, it was dissolving as it was coming out. (Don’t you just love this site, where can we discus fish poo in such detail) LOL :o

At the moment the Discus is not showing any signs of distress, if anything he/she is actually a little more adventurous.

I actually tried to get a script for metro from the local doctor, he politely asked me to leave and only see him when humans are ill. I guess I need to find a fish friendly Doc.

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 08, 2005, 07:13 AM
Hmmm if only all doctors thought like we do. If we find you need to use Metro, I will try and get some for you. In the meantime, I am a great believer in the Keep It Simple method. Lots of water changes, good food and occasionally salt will be my first treatment for any fish looking a bit off colour.