PDA

View Full Version : Altifron holding eggs

jaythi
Tue Aug 25, 2009, 07:52 AM
my altirons have jus breed in my display tank how long before she release the fry? ne help would be good

Matt_Discus
Mon Aug 31, 2009, 07:49 AM
I think roughly around 2 - 3 weeks she would spit them out but she may swallow/eat if its her first time so better to strip her after day14

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 31, 2009, 11:55 AM
I think roughly around 2 - 3 weeks she would spit them out but she may swallow/eat if its her first time so better to strip her after day14

2-3 weeks???

what type of altrifrons are they? do you have a more specific identification?

i have kept rio brancos (aka altifron II's), Leucasticta and Tocantines... all held for different time frames (as low as 7 days) and i never had a need to strip

just wait till the parents let them go free swimming and get a net ready. once you have the lids off and a net waiting, you can quickly scoop up the fry when they are out swimming. i used to spook my rio branco breeders just slightly and they would run off and leave a nice easy little school of fry to snatch up and throw into a fry saver.

put the fry straight onto fresh or frozen baby brine shrimp and crushed flake once they have no egg sack left

hth
matt

EdCal
Sun Jul 25, 2010, 01:18 AM
My Altifron Xingu recently bred in my community tank. Couldn't tell if the eggs hatched or not because their mouths were sealed shut. It was about 3 weeks and still no sign of fry. So I transfered them into their own tank. After about a week, in the breeder tank alone, I got my first glimpse of fry but they would not stay out long. At this time the male was the primary carrier and started chasing the female. In fear of the females well being, I returned the female back to the community tank where she recovered quickly. Still after another week the male would rarely release the fry. Bare in mind this has been about a month and a half, so i decided to manually strip the fry.

I carefully netted the male, and with my hand gently pinned him against the glass. Put my finger on his lower lip where his teeth gripped on my finger tip and carefully opened his mouth as fry swam out. Did this about 3 times. I stripped about 100 fry and returned the male back to the community tank.

The fry are free swimming and doing well. they are eating frozen baby brine shrimp