PDA

View Full Version : MY FIRST EVER SPAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mattzilla
Sun Feb 06, 2005, 12:20 PM
i came home after work at about 2am to find that my discus had laid eggs in the up pipe of a sponge filter!!!! i have kept discus for about 2 years and NEVER had a spawn. the funny thing is i almost sold these discus only a couple of weeks ago and even considered selling them to a lfs only a few days ago! thanks god i didn't.

considering this is their first spawn and there are heaps of other fish in the tankj i don't expect to have much success with the eggs. if they do grow then that is great....if they do die or get eaten then i will remove all other fish appart from the pair.

it's around 24hrs since they where laig and a couple of eggs have one white, about a quarter are still clear and the rest have truned a dark orange/red colour. does this mean they have been fertilised? the female ( i think) is a yellow faced red mellon and the male (again i think) is a white/pink. i'll post a few pics so you can see them

i did some huge w/c over the last week....around 50% a day.....which is what must have triggered the spawn.

i know i should be testing the water peramiters but i have not tested for ages......my bad.....

my plan is to just leave them and see what happens, while i continue my regular w/c etc.

is there anything i absolutely should/shouldn't do though???? when should they hatch?

thanks guys...no doubt i will be asking a tonne of questions in the near future

Mattzilla
Sun Feb 06, 2005, 12:25 PM
some pics.... sorry but they are crap pics

DiscusMad
Sun Feb 06, 2005, 01:17 PM
Well done i always think its great when the fish spawn

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 06, 2005, 01:20 PM
Matt, congratulations. That's fantastic news. I can hear the patter of little fins now.

flukes
Mon Feb 07, 2005, 06:12 AM
Congrats matt.

Mattzilla
Mon Feb 07, 2005, 10:32 AM
just a score up date....most of the eggs have truned white....spewing!!!!! there are still about a third that are dark orange/red..... so fingers crossed with them