PDA

View Full Version : Angels ready to spawn?

Barracuda
Fri May 22, 2009, 11:13 AM
My angels I have are around 8 months old (i think) - about 7-8cm long. I have 5 angels in my 6ft community tank, and the two biggest ones i THINK have paired off - they always hang around each other, and as soon as an angel gets within half a metre of them they chase them away.
Recently I have noticed these two hang around the filter intake tube together, chasing ANY fish that comes near them. They seem to be "pecking" at the tube, as if to clean it. Could it be they are preparing to lay their eggs on this?
How can I tell which one is male/female? One of them seems as if its stomach has gone a little fat - is it eggs?
What sort of behaviour should I look out for as signs of them ready to breed? Are these signs?? When do I know when they are ready? Should I remove them into a smaller tank by themselves??

Thanks

ILLUSN
Fri May 22, 2009, 01:12 PM
they sound like they've paired and are ready to spawn, expect eggs withing the month

Barracuda
Fri May 22, 2009, 01:13 PM
Cool!
Can I do anything to aid in the spawning process? Should I move them into a seperate tank?

ILLUSN
Fri May 22, 2009, 01:19 PM
best to let them loose a couple of spawns to build better parenting skills, i let mine spawn a couple of times in the main tank till i gave them their own.

good food good water is all you can do.

Barracuda
Sat May 23, 2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks illusn
How old do they have to be before they can spawn for the first time? Cos the more I think about it, they are really only about 6months old i think...

ILLUSN
Sat May 23, 2009, 12:40 PM
mine wern't much over 6 months old when they spawned, but they were in a big tank.

Barracuda
Thu May 28, 2009, 07:41 AM
YAY!!! MY ANGELS SPAWNED!!!
They did it on the filter intake tube - where I was expecting. They ate the first couple of eggs, but after a while left them alone and kept laying. I think they are still quite inexperienced as the male sometimes knocks off a couple of eggs when he goes to fertilise them.
What should I do? Is it possible to remove/protect the eggs? If I scrape them off the tube, will they die?

Thanks!

ILLUSN
Thu May 28, 2009, 01:39 PM
they've got no chance, if you really want remove the filter tube and move it to a hatching tank, id leave them and move the pair after a few more goes.

Barracuda
Fri May 29, 2009, 06:56 AM
Well got up this morning, found no eggs.
Oh well...maybe give them a few goes and build up thier parenting skills...