PDA

View Full Version : Eggs going from clear to white

duck
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:46 AM
Hi all
Well over a year now on keeping discus and before i found this forum i lost a few but now all is ok thanks to this forum learning lots.

After reading the last thread about 2 females i belive i have male and female and there are laying eggs on my intake and only one is laying the eggs.
Anyhow they dont seem to make it they go white therefore no baby's
Any help in this area please and they dont eat them
How long until they hatch?
Thanks
duck

Ben
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:55 AM
as far as the eggs going white, they simply have not been fertilized by the male, this has occured with my 2 (maybe) females.

duck
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks
Only some go white.
Thanks duck

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:48 PM
Is the filter intake still working. The water current will be too strong and will not allow the male's sperm to fertilize the eggs. If they insist on laying on the intake pipe (I have one pair like that) then give them a similar pipe of their own to lay their eggs, and wrap the filter pipe in white filter floss to make it unattractive to the pair. They will gladly accept the new pipe.

duck
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 11:06 PM
thanks never thought of that i will give them a pipe of there own.

nicholas76
Mon Mar 07, 2005, 06:19 AM
Like lady red said

1. check the flow or strength of your current. Discus do better in still water.

2. also check the hardness of your water. Too hard means no fertilisation.

rex82
Tue Jan 26, 2010, 05:51 AM
my eggs go white after approx 40 hrs....wouldn't this mean that they were fertile?

Merrilyn
Fri Feb 05, 2010, 08:06 AM
Sorry rex, no. That means they are infertile.

Fertile eggs gradually become darker as the embryo grows and you begin to see the eye through the "skin' of the egg.

They can start off almost clear, yellow or even orange, then become almost black just before they hatch.