PDA

View Full Version : lesbian pair?

Ben
Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:29 PM
can someone help me?
i have i pair od p bloods, is it possible that 2 females could lay eggs and after 24 hours one of them eat them? they are behaving like a pair, or will only a female lay eggs if a male is in the tank??

Kaza
Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:55 PM
Two of my fish who I actually thought were a pair started producing eggs the other one made the runs looking like it was fertilizing the eggs. The eggs were eaten a couple of hours later, however I wasnt worried as they are a young pair. The next night however I saw what I thought was the male laiding eggs. Now one laids, the other one a couple of days later. They are in a tank with 4 other discus, you would think one of those is a male, but so far they are not interested in other fish only each other. I plan to move one out and put a proven male in.
So to answer your questions
Yes 2 females can act like a pair, my two females take turns producing the eggs.
However young pairs often eat their eggs the first few times, the only way of knowing is to watch them and see who is laying the eggs.

weird
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:13 AM
:D Lesbian pair ! Are they hot ? Sorry ... :oops:

Ben
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:10 AM
dave, you got mixed up, you should be in the "Forum for single men" just kidding........

Ben
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 06:11 AM
these guys are the two i think could be both females.

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 07:56 AM
Two females can certainly lay eggs together without a male being present, but of course the eggs will not be fertile.

It is also possible that you have a young pair who haven't got their act together yet. Give them a bit of time. Next time you spot them spawning, have a look at the anal region. The female will have a wide blunt breeding tube, and the male's will be more a *V* shape. Egg eating is very common with young pairs.