PDA

View Full Version : over protective BN

elixerb
Sat Apr 25, 2009, 11:25 PM
a bit over a month ago i couldn't find my male pleco BN so i did a full tank clean fearing i had lost him and found that he was in a hollow peice of drift wood with a whole heap of little babies. i was not trying to breed them but was pleased and thought the best thing to do would be to let them be.

it has been a little over a month since i have known they were there and they seemed to be free swimming when i found them (no egg sack left) but he is still in the log with babies. is it normal for them to stay in the nest for so long? what i read it should only be about 2 weeks. is it likely the BN had another batch of babies almost right away and he is guarding a new batch? im not sure what/if i need to doanything im not worried about keeping the babies but im worried about the male BN possible not getting enough to eat. as he is never seen out of the log

any info would be gratly appreciated and sorry if these seem like silly questions

Brooke.

Hassles
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 01:14 PM
a bit over a month ago i couldn't find my male pleco BN so i did a full tank clean fearing i had lost him and found that he was in a hollow peice of drift wood with a whole heap of little babies. i was not trying to breed them but was pleased and thought the best thing to do would be to let them be.

it has been a little over a month since i have known they were there and they seemed to be free swimming when i found them (no egg sack left) but he is still in the log with babies. is it normal for them to stay in the nest for so long? what i read it should only be about 2 weeks. is it likely the BN had another batch of babies almost right away and he is guarding a new batch? im not sure what/if i need to doanything im not worried about keeping the babies but im worried about the male BN possible not getting enough to eat. as he is never seen out of the log

any info would be gratly appreciated and sorry if these seem like silly questions

Brooke.

G'day Brooke

The situation you've outlined does seem a little odd by comparison to the norm but....until the last of the fry escapes daddy bristlenose will probably stay with whatever young are present. I am assuming you have only 1 female. Also, male BN are frequent night stalkers only emerging after dark so he may be feeding at this time, unlike the females who are more likely to be seen during periods of dayligt. I would not be overly concerned by the bahaviour of your bristleose catfish. You might be advised however that future spawns are likely to increase in yeild. Keep an eye on ammonia & nitrite readings as the additional occupants of your tank will place an additional burden upon your bateria colony.

take care and enjoy your fish