PDA

View Full Version : Geophagus for the community tank?

Barracuda
Mon Apr 13, 2009, 07:04 AM
I'm after a peaceful geo that doesnt grow too big, with lots of colour, to add to a community tank. I have heard that tapajos fill this critera...anyone got them? What is its temperment like? What is the pricing for juvies?
What other peaceful geos that dont grow too big, with lots of colour, do you recommend?
Thanks

Cicolid
Mon Apr 13, 2009, 01:53 PM
Have a look at this site.

It gives everything you need to know about each species in Australia including sizes. Great site..

http://eartheaters.qldaf.com/index.php?page=main

SusieQ
Mon Apr 13, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hi.. I have orangehead juvies with angels and rams.. If you look at my thread about geo/angel tank you can get an idea what the juvies look like. Don't know the pricing there... They really should be kept in a group and have a sand substrate and temps about 82 or so.. And in at least a four foot tank as they are quite active... but peaceful.. If your tank is smaller than I would recomend the Bolivian ram which also shows some of the sand sifting behavior..
The site posted by Cicolid is by Japes and Ozarowana and is very informative.. They've done a great job :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb. They have a lot of experience and great looking tanks.. Good luck whatever you choose and pics please... Sue :D

Barracuda
Mon Apr 13, 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the info guys...what about rio branco, surinamemsis, brasiliensis? Are they much more aggressive and grow bigger?

Krumpet
Mon Apr 13, 2009, 11:59 PM
Rio Branco and Brasiliensis are fairly opinionated geo's, However they should still be fine with other more placid fish. I have a 25cm+ rio branco male in with 5cm satanoperca (amongst others) and everyone is happy.

Rio branco, Surinamensis and Brasiliensis will all reach 30 cm eventually.

The Araguia/Tapajos will stay smaller at around 20cm but I still find them to be a bit bossy when they get bigger.

Have you considered Rio Pindare? or perhaps these guys, they are pussies at any age.... Ha ha

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18730&highlight=

Geo aggression is not like a red devils or anything and they mainly just fight amongst their own kinds anyway...mostly

Cheers
Matt

Barracuda
Tue Apr 14, 2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks Krumpet, how big do the abalios grow? The Pindare are smaller too, arent they?
Any idea on the pricing of the orange heads?

Krumpet
Tue Apr 14, 2009, 09:03 AM
Yea the pindare stay a bit smaller around 20cm.

For the araguia red heads they are usually around 15-20$ for juveniles but for the "real" tapajos orange heads you could probably expect to pay double that, if you can find them.

The abalios will grow big too, probably around 30cm.

If you are going to buy the araguia's make sure you see the parents, as there are some strains going around that don't get much of the red colour on their heads.

I will have about 12 araguia ready in a month.

HTH

Barracuda
Tue Apr 14, 2009, 10:16 AM
Any reason as to why the tapajos are double that of the araguia?
Shame you are in brisbane, otherwise I would buy some off you! How much are you planning to sell them for, out of curiosity?

Krumpet
Tue Apr 14, 2009, 11:58 PM
The Tapajos are regarded as being more colourful with a more orange as opposed to red forehead, in general. They haven't been in the country very long apparently, so there is still a lot of people waiting for their fry to grow up (myself included), hence the higher price tag.

None of this is fact by the way, just what i've heard along the grapevine.

Having said all that, I have seen some really, really nice araguia, around aswell, just have to look for them.

You can find abalios in Sydney if that's what your after, as I think that's where they were first bred.

I will probably sell my araguia for around 15 each.

HTH