PDA

View Full Version : can someone give me edit authorisation to my posts

Bad Inferno
Tue Mar 31, 2009, 01:48 PM
At the moment I can edit my posts in some sections and not others. Can you enable me to edit in all sections please. I don't really care about the classified section if that causes any probelms

thanks
rob

Matt15
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 04:30 AM
Using the phpBB software you can manage user privs in many different ways. I'm pretty sure the setup here is pretty simple for general members with no set privs for us. Each individual forum section however has different privs which you'll notice your able to EDIT posts in some sections but not others.

Vspec
Sun May 30, 2010, 06:36 PM
so we still havn't licked this??

Proteus
Sun May 30, 2010, 07:44 PM
so we still havn't licked this??

There is nothing to be licked

Due to abuse in the past the edit feature has been removed in select topic areas.

Vspec
Sun May 30, 2010, 08:49 PM
everyone should have the right to modify a posting bud.

Or delete one for that matter.

Proteus
Sun May 30, 2010, 09:03 PM
everyone should have the right to modify a posting bud.

Or delete one for that matter.

Sorry, that is not the case

Take some more care when originally posting, use the preview feature perhaps.

The Lounge area and Classifieds are the 2 areas which have higher security settings, if it was such an issue why isnt there a complaint every few days, rather than dragging up a post from OVER a year ago.

Very few forums allow the user to delete content, once again, a non issue

Vspec
Sun May 30, 2010, 09:28 PM
id love to know what forum world you constantly speak of bud. Every forum ive ever visited has that simple feature. Something simple like corrections is apart of life. we're not drafting the final version of a million $$ tender

Once again, thank you for the enlightened view point on what's normal.

Tommo
Mon May 31, 2010, 07:04 AM
Hey Vspec most forums i visit allow you about "roughly"1 hour to edit a post then it is up to a mod to do it.

Although there are other forums that allow to edit all the time :)

Cheers mate

Andrew

ILLUSN
Mon May 31, 2010, 07:15 AM
NOTHING on this forum is EVER deleted.
Inappropriate content is "moved" to an area that general users and public cant see. This is done for legal reasons. All content is preserved its original posted state.

Tommo
Mon May 31, 2010, 07:20 AM
Inappropriate content is "moved" to an area that general users and public cant see. This is done for legal reasons. All content is preserved its original posted state.

Christ Jothy !!!

So what your saying is, everytime i have posted "After a few beers ,well more than a few "
You have moved it to a private part of the forum ?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL ;)

BigDaddyAdo
Mon May 31, 2010, 10:24 AM

Christ Jothy !!!

So what your saying is, everytime i have posted "After a few beers ,well more than a few "
You have moved it to a private part of the forum ?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL ;)

They have a special section just for your drunken posts. :D

Vspec
Mon May 31, 2010, 11:42 AM
Sites rely on search engines to produce foot traffic, so even though its site localised, its still product content of public domain. And as such, having the inability to react with that info at any time is something that rubs me the wrong way.

Its easy, i will avoid those sections of the forums all together. So if for example a contest proposition makes it into discus breeding to get around something i deem simple convenience, then so be it. If that rubs people the wrong way, bite me, ether that or vote me off the island.

Im not interested in the sh^t that went down at this place in this past. The beauty of being the present means i dont have to deal with it. Pick up your act people, focus less on storing your unmodified information in the cauldron and start focusing on what's better for the site based on the people that currently use it. By that notion at least attempt to visually get off you @ss & create another admin team with presence & a positive vibe. By all accounts on this side of the fence, the welcome wagon is woeful.

Hollowman
Mon May 31, 2010, 03:23 PM
Im not interested in the sh^t that went down at this place in this past. The beauty of being the present means i dont have to deal with it. Pick up your act people, focus less on storing your unmodified information in the cauldron and start focusing on what's better for the site based on the people that currently use it. By that notion at least attempt to visually get off you @ss & create another admin team with presence & a positive vibe. By all accounts on this side of the fence, the welcome wagon is woeful.

Well, I guess you'll be using a different forum from now on then. Your choice. We all agreed to the T's+C's when we registered, that was not long ago for you, so you know that right ?

Just edited my post, I would hate to offend :lol:

What was so wrong in the post you made that made you feel so bad?? :roll:

We can all make spelling mistakes or use poor grammar now and again, just use the 'preview' as suggested by Admin.

Just edited my post, I would hate to offend :lol:

Vspec
Mon May 31, 2010, 09:30 PM
yeah, doesn't bother me.

See ya guys

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 02:25 AM
yeah, doesn't bother me.

See ya guys

You're a tossa.

Well someone had to say it. :D

swampy1972
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 03:13 AM
I heard there was a storm brewing... never fear, I've brought the teacup! :P

Proteus
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 03:16 AM
Play nice now....

swampy1972
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 03:41 AM
Play nice now....

Sorry.. couldn't help myself. :lol:

I do think it's a bit like someone buying a house next to Sydney airport then complaining about the noise. :?

mitsui
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 05:49 AM
I do think it's a bit like someone buying a house nest (NEXT) to Sydney airport then complaining about the noise

You made a spelling mistake swampy you better edit your post :lol: :lol:

Sorry I dont know how to quote properly :oops: [/quote]

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 10:17 AM
I do think it's a bit like someone buying a house nest (NEXT) to Sydney airport then complaining about the noise

Sorry I dont know how to quote properly :oops: [/quote]

You can edit your posts in this part of the forum. :lol:

Hollowman
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 10:17 AM
:roll: HA HA HA HA :lol: :lol:

Tommo
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hey Vspec

It is a shame that you feel that way :(
In all honesty is it that hard to ask a mod to "edit/remove a post?" seriously, thats all it is.
It's a question to a mod to change a post ?

And even if they say no "well ,you can always make a post underneath it correcting yourself"

Cheers mate

Andrew

Hollowman
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 12:06 PM
I think the dummy got 'spat out' already Tommo, he's gone. :roll:

Edit, I might be wrong though :lol:

swampy1972
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 01:28 PM

Got me.. Lucky there's an edit function. :P

Proteus
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 09:29 PM
There are 28 topic areas, of these 26 have the edit feature available. None have the delete feature.

I still cant see what the issue is

Hollowman
Tue Jun 01, 2010, 09:49 PM
No issues Proteus, we are all happy campers here :lol: Well, most of us :wink:

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Jun 02, 2010, 01:49 AM
Which 2 dont have the edit feature?

I dont see a problem with not having an edit button. I prefer it as on other forums i see alot of threads that make no sense because useres have gone back and changed there posts after others have responded.

ILLUSN
Wed Jun 02, 2010, 01:57 AM
edit is a Massive problem in the classifides section, generally some one posts something at 1 price then changes their mind and bumps it up after someelse has already transfered money to them. there no real way to prove it unless you've got admin right to see when the post was modified.

The senario that Ado has outlined above is another good reason to leave things the way they are.

It's way too much hassel, as said before 26/28 have edit as a feature, for the remaining 2 sections PM me what you want changed and i'll look after it, It's really not that hard.

Proteus
Wed Jun 02, 2010, 02:03 AM
The News & Announcements topic area only allows replies to regular members, The Classifieds also has higher permission levels for the reason that Illusn mentioned above.

The lounge did have higher security levels but they have been relaxed somewhat and edit is available

Vspec
Wed Jun 02, 2010, 06:08 AM
Nothing like abit of confrontation to bring about change.

Its all about perspective people. It may not seem like much, & regardless how trivial it seems after the fact, however Ive got my perspective on this subject, its a principle stance so i posted it.
I at least attempted to search for something relating, finding the exact same subject matter i was going to post anyways, so logicly why not use the thread already created. admittedly a broken trail of site issues relating to the past & less than accomidating tone caused me to dig in!

Yes, i'll take any comments on the chin, (even yours ado, although prob best to avoid in public) cause ive given just as much in verbal mouthfuls, so its to be expected.

Im definately not here to stir up sh^t. - yeah, I can be alittle confrontational on some issues, hard habbit to kick as im not used to sitting on the sidelines, so please dont take it as a disrespectful attack, cause thats not what i try to portray by default.
I'm logical, so i can defineatly see reason regardless of topic.
So given the topic at hand, Yes, totally, keeping the principle for classifieds forum is understandable. However for the rest, ive already stated my peice on the subject, so im not revisiting it!

As i said, im not here to be the sites common enemy. As much as i do enjoy the odd blow-out and happy to do anything solo, 95% of the time im for a common goal - To make the site a better experience for all involved.

Although, for the rest of you vocal types - still more than happy to take exit votes off the island if thats what you think though, cause at least that gets the sideline people out of the woodwork & posting :)
Pure curiosity of quality potential sledging was too hard to resist, so i revisited after showing my back to the place!

Tommo
Wed Jun 02, 2010, 06:25 AM
Please do not think i was having a go at you Vspec,i was just pointing out, that to edit some thread or post is easy by just asking a mod to do it , or just correcting yourself with a post underneath :)
I hope i have not upset you , because that was not my intentions.

Cheers mate

Andrew

Vspec
Wed Jun 02, 2010, 07:25 AM
Im not upset bud. Thanks for the concideration.

I know i can get around it, i was just stiring the pot by saying i shouldn't have to. :) you know, being vocal & being a pain in the @ss.

Hollowman
Wed Jun 02, 2010, 07:15 PM
I think the dummy got 'spat out' already Tommo, he's gone. :roll:

Edit, I might be wrong though :lol:

See I was wrong, welcome back :wink: