PDA

View Full Version : Under Gravel Filter...

tailz
Fri Feb 27, 2009, 01:18 AM
I’m considering building a new 2ft cube tank into a breeding tank. It will be a planted tank with wood, not a bear glass tank – as I find a planted tank with a stable biological system is far easier to take care of (especially considering I often fly interstate).

In the past with my last breeding tank, I found that a sponge filter in the tank just didn’t have the guts to do the job, and that all manor of inlet pipe attachments (to prevent fry from being vacuumed into the canister filter) just caused problems that resulted in lots more stuffing around. So last time, I used an under gravel filter with my canister filter intake pipes sucking water from under the baseplate (and it worked perfectly fine until my flat mate turned off the system when I had to fly interstate).

Now I know a lot of folks frown upon under gravel filters, and I agree with most of their reasons. But I found this to be the best solution for my setup last time. So I thought I might bounce some of my ideas off you folks and see what constructive criticism I get.

The problems I found last time were:
Gravel Particle Size – If the gravel is too fine, the larger particles of food will get stuck on or in the gravel. Gravel with a pebble size of no smaller than 5-10mm would be best.
Void Space – The void between the floor of the tank and the base plate of the under gravel filter should be 2cm to 1 inch – anything smaller does not give an adequate flow for the power and can, block up with matter and create flow voids of stagnate water.
Flow Rate – I found that the rate of water flow through my old canister filter just didn’t have the guts to handle the setup to keep the flow of water in the under gravel area at a good level, resulting in low pressure zones. Also pipe diameter restricted maximum flor rate.

What I am considering doing is to make an under gravel filter from scratch. I’m looking at a specially cut plate made from Perspex to form the main base plate, with stand off feet to give a void space of 1 inch. The canister filter should be of a larger variety than I have used in the past (I have taken on an overkill attitude towards canister filters because I am not as fanatical towards water changes as most – and because I aim for a biological process more than just lots of water changes). With larger gauge tubing that I plan to attach directly into the filter base plate – although I am still considering how best to make the fitting to get best flow rate...

But I am in no hurry, I’m still growing out the pair I suspect I have in another tank.

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 27, 2009, 06:59 AM
you will have problems breeding in a planted tank, too many shadows too may dark objets to distract the fry, if you were to try it stick with turks or browns you've got more chance of sucess.

Hollowman
Fri Feb 27, 2009, 06:52 PM
I am with ILLUSN, you cannot breed in a planted tank. Under gravel filters are a thing of the past. There is nothing simpler than an air driven sponger filter, and they can handle huge volumes of water. I would think that you didn't have the sponge cycled.

Also, if you are not a fan of water changes, do not even try to breed discus, you will fail, or end up with a whole bunch of stunted fish and culls. Therefore, I see no point in doing it.
You cannot, even with a 'planted tank' filter out DOC's, these compounds are the ones that will stunt fish in a heartbeat, there is NO substitute for changing water, and when raising discus, you need lots of it, period.

tailz
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 12:21 AM
you will have problems breeding in a planted tank, too many shadows too may dark objets to distract the fry, if you were to try it stick with turks or browns you've got more chance of sucess.
Hum… The last time I dabbled with breeding Discus I had a planted tank and didn’t seem to have too much of a problem with shadows. Although I did have a dim light setup for the tank as a book I read at the time recommended dim lighting for the tank at all times so the fry could find the parents and vica verca.

The two Discus who might be a pair are blue turquoise, but a bit on the small side for the moment – so I am in no rush. Just thinking long term.

I am with ILLUSN, you cannot breed in a planted tank. Under gravel filters are a thing of the past. There is nothing simpler than an air driven sponger filter, and they can handle huge volumes of water. I would think that you didn't have the sponge cycled.
I agree that a sponge filter is the best solution – otherwise why else would everyone go for it. But I have never felt that a sponge driven by air bubbles has the guts to process enough water through it like a powered canister filter, plus the mechanical and biological processes that go on inside the canister filter.

I’ve tried sponge filters, but I decided it was just not the best solution for me (Plus a sponge filter is a rather ugly feature in a tank) since I still insist of having a canister filter regardless – my problem is I don’t want to vacuum up young fry with the intake pipe of the canister filter, thus why I look at an under gravel filter.

Also, if you are not a fan of water changes, do not even try to breed discus, you will fail, or end up with a whole bunch of stunted fish and culls. Therefore, I see no point in doing it.
I’ll admit I’m not fanatical about water changes, but my problem is more a lack of spare time and the fact that often the tank has to take care of itself when I am interstate.

My intention is not to breed Discus for the pure goal of breeding Discus – if that was the case, then sure; Glass bottom tank, weekly water changes, sponge filter. The Discus breeding is really a nice side bonus to having a second nice looking tank in my studio with Discus displayed in a semi-natural looking environment.

You cannot, even with a 'planted tank' filter out DOC's, these compounds are the ones that will stunt fish in a heartbeat, there is NO substitute for changing water, and when raising discus, you need lots of it, period.
I’ll never escape the need of water changes; I have no problem with that. I’ve even setup a water drum to act as an ageing container that I drain into the tank after I vacuum the tank as part of my water changing practice. Something I am trying to get into the habit of doing weekly, if not fortnightly - but this relies on me being at home to do these things. I can’t do it if I am 100km away! So I want the tank to be able to take care of itself for any prolonged period of time without having to employ someone to just change water!

If you have read the intro I posted in the Introductions section of this forum, you would see this is not my first time trying to do this. My last attempt was with a planted aquarium, it did have a canister filter that drew tank water from an under gravel filter, and was going quite well while I could take care of it. The whole affair only ended in disaster when I flew interstate and put my trust in someone who switched the whole thing off!

So I know it can be done.

I just wish to find a way of running a canister filter without sucking up free swimming fry.

DOC - Please excuse my ignorance, but I’m not too savvy with all the acronyms. I assume your referring to the materials that result from the breakdown of biological waist.

TW
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 02:26 AM
I just wish to find a way of running a canister filter without sucking up free swimming fry. I have successfuly raised krib fry in a planted tank, but not discus. I put a stocking over my cannister filter intake. A sponge would do just as well.

In a planted tank, the fry will probably get separated too easily from the parents & so likely starve, regardless of the filter intake issue. But if I read you right, I don't think it's your goal to raise the fry anyway, just watch the breeding pairs intereaction with any eggs & any fry.

In my planted tank, I have seen discus eggs & the parents guarding the eggs. But never once have I seen free swimmers.

tailz
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:29 AM
I have successfuly raised krib fry in a planted tank, but not discus. I put a stocking over my cannister filter intake. A sponge would do just as well.
I tried the stocking over the filter intake during my first go at breeding discus and I found that the material decays rather rapidly. Plus I found that the fabric strangles the flow of water into the intake pipe far too much. I did pick up an attachment that fits onto the end of the intake pipe and includes a plastic mesh sponge as a sort of “pre-filter” before water enters the pipe. But the small size of fry slip through the mesh sponge (to my horror at that time).

I have thought of jerry rigging a sponge onto the end of the intake pipe. I was thinking that if I make a length of pipe with holes in it – say abut 15cm long – the holes would provide enough water volume entering the pipe to give a good enough flow of water into the canister filter. The 15cm of pipe would then fit into a “sheath” of sponge that would sit in the tank.

In a planted tank, the fry will probably get separated too easily from the parents & so likely starve, regardless of the filter intake issue. But if I read you right, I don't think it's your goal to raise the fry anyway, just watch the breeding pairs intereaction with any eggs & any fry.
I’m not too worried about losing fry – think of it in the terms of natural selection at work. I am interested about the fry surviving, don’t misunderstand that - but I’m not doing this just to raise fry.

To be honest I am not that worried about the parents losing a few fry in the plants, the last time I tried this the parents always seemed to ferret them out of wherever they went and herd them around. Maybe I just was lucky and had good parents. But if the vegetation is too thick, it will create areas the parents can’t get too but where fry can.

I generally these days keep plants on lumps of wood for ease of gravel vacuuming, and they are mostly Amazon Swords.

In my planted tank, I have seen discus eggs & the parents guarding the eggs. But never once have I seen free swimmers.
The eggs don’t develop or do they get, cleaned up by something?

TW
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:42 AM
They weren't alone, but in a community tank. I assume they were quickly munched on, if ever they became free swimming. All I know is, one day the parents were guarding, the next all gone. Also, they picked a bad spot to lay - right on the filter uptake. As I had no intention of breeding, I didn't do anything to protect the fry from being sucked up, so that is a possibility too.

There are lots of fish filter sponges that are just the right size to slip over the filter intake. Some already have a hole in the middle, some you may have to cut. My cannisters are all oversized for the tank. Flow was never an issue for me. If you have to cut them, wet them slightly & put them in the freezer. They will be easier to cut. If you just cut a vertical cross right down the middle, that should work.

Hollowman
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 07:35 PM
I am sorry Tailz, but I cannot agree with almost anything you have said. I do not profess to be an expert, but I have been around a while and have read and listened to those who I rely on when I get in trouble, these people include masters like Andrew Soh and the top people in the Uk and US, as well as the many great people here.
I think that you are taking a head in the sand stance, and not wanting to admit that there are time served ways of doing things. The advice I gave was taken from experience. Sponge filters are, for 99% the only way to set up a breeding cube, you are quite wrong when you say that they do not process big volumes of water....they do, fact. They will not suck in fry, so that is the first problem solved, period.
You have accepted that you have to do water changes, great. But not only have you started with the wrong ethic, but you want to try to breed, and think that this will be fine, it quite simply wont. By not water changing, you will be making your fish suffer in their own waste. Think of it this way, you are living in a room, with no door to open, no windows to open, and there is no toilet, just the floor, add to this the fact that the other people in that room all smoke. The only time that you get fresh air is when the door is opened for half an hour a week. Not a nice thought is it. You have said Something I am trying to get into the habit of doing weekly, if not fortnightly - but this relies on me being at home I cannot help but think that that keeping fish, or specially discus are not right for you.

You will do what you will, I can't stop you doing that, but please take the advice in the vein in which it is given. We are passionate fish keepers here and knowing that you will be keeping them in an environment that will make the fish sick, and then try to breed, is just not ethically right.
I am not ranting at you, please don't think that, but trying to get my point over, that you need to re-assess your situation, and being away from home, keeping pets does not work.

H :cry:

tailz
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:08 PM
They weren't alone, but in a community tank. I assume they were quickly munched on, if ever they became free swimming. All I know is, one day the parents were guarding, the next all gone. Also, they picked a bad spot to lay - right on the filter uptake. As I had no intention of breeding, I didn't do anything to protect the fry from being sucked up, so that is a possibility too.
Yup, laying eggs right on the intake pipe is asking for trouble.

There are lots of fish filter sponges that are just the right size to slip over the filter intake. Some already have a hole in the middle, some you may have to cut. My cannisters are all oversized for the tank. Flow was never an issue for me. If you have to cut them, wet them slightly & put them in the freezer. They will be easier to cut. If you just cut a vertical cross right down the middle, that should work.
I aim for excessive canister filtering too.

That idea about wetting and then freezing the sponge is a great idea! I wish I had thought of that!

So I have changed my plan a bit. Out goes the under gravel plate, in comes a pipe cut to slide into a sponge. I have an old power head filter which had a sponge housed in a plastic frame, I was considering using the plastic frame as a way of keeping the sponge fixed onto the pipe just in case it slides off – but I suspect this frame would create a barrier that fry could get wedged in between the frame and the sponge in such a way that the parents could not ferret the fry out from.

I am sorry Tailz, but I cannot agree with almost anything you have said. I do not profess to be an expert, but I have been around a while and have read and listened to those who I rely on when I get in trouble, these people include masters like Andrew Soh and the top people in the Uk and US, as well as the many great people here.
I think that you are taking a head in the sand stance, and not wanting to admit that there are time served ways of doing things. The advice I gave was taken from experience.
Head in the sand stance, Oh-ky...

Sponge filters are, for 99% the only way to set up a breeding cube, you are quite wrong when you say that they do not process big volumes of water....they do, fact. They will not suck in fry, so that is the first problem solved, period.
And had you been reading, you would have seen that the “constructive criticism” provided by TW has resulted in my agreement with TW as to a way I can both keep my canister filter and employ a sponge to prevent fry from getting vacuumed up – a compromise towards both ends would you not agree?

You have accepted that you have to do water changes, great. But not only have you started with the wrong ethic, but you want to try to breed, and think that this will be fine, it quite simply wont. By not water changing, you will be making your fish suffer in their own waste. Think of it this way, you are living in a room, with no door to open, no windows to open, and there is no toilet, just the floor, add to this the fact that the other people in that room all smoke. The only time that you get fresh air is when the door is opened for half an hour a week. Not a nice thought is it. You have said Something I am trying to get into the habit of doing weekly, if not fortnightly - but this relies on me being at home I cannot help but think that that keeping fish, or specially discus are not right for you.
Maybe I am using the wrong words, or I am just not articulating myself well enough and thus the wrong image has been portrayed. I know and understand everything you have told me, and I completely and totally agree. I know water changes are important, I know the deadly nature of the build-up of biological waste materials.

I was interested about having a discussion about setting up this tank, now I’m stuck here defending myself from a barrage of comments about my head being stuck in sand! If my head was stuck in the proverbial sand, why did I start up a discussion thread to discuss this plan if I was not seeking advice? My goodness, constructive criticism seems to be a lost art these days.

I am not ranting at you
Could have fooled me.

TW
Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:28 AM
Hi tailz

Hollowman is far more experienced discus keeper than me. I'd take his advice over mine any day. When it comes to breeding, BB really is best with only a sponge filter. The planted tank /cannister with filter intake protected with sponge, means you might see them breed, but it's unlikely you'll end up growing out any fry. But have fun whichever way you go.

Hollowman
Tue Mar 03, 2009, 06:15 PM
Tailz, Really, I am not ranting, but I am passionate. I see what you are going to do and am trying to convince you otherwise. Re: the sponge filter thing, ok, a cannister is your preferred method of filtration. In a bigger tank or planted, fine, you have my vote. But breeding, it is just asking for trouble. Even with the best intensions, the draw of water into the intake of a cannister will be too much, and any new free swimming fry that get close will be sucked onto it. I run sponges on my cannister intakes, and have had neons and cardinals stick to them overnight and die. Fry won't stand a chance, please see that.
You seem to be making hard work and finding problems that a simple air driven sponge filter will overcome.
A breeding cube consists of a bare bottom tank, a heater and an air driven sponge filter. I think everyone will agree. That's it .

Maybe my passion has made you think I am being a bit hard on you, but I am not, really. When I read of some of ways people do things or want to do things, I will try to persuade them that there are other ways to do it that are the best ways. We all learn through experience, and why not learn from those who have made the mistakes already, I do, and have made some of the mistake as well.
I wish you luck in whatever you direction you take, or whoever's advice you follow :)

H :)

tailz
Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hollowman is far more experienced discus keeper than me. I'd take his advice over mine any day. When it comes to breeding, BB really is best with only a sponge filter. The planted tank /cannister with filter intake protected with sponge, means you might see them breed, but it's unlikely you'll end up growing out any fry. But have fun whichever way you go.
I agree Hollowman is far more experienced with Discus than I, but he seems to have completely missed what I am trying to do and seems to be blind to all else apart from a bear bottom tank with a sponge!

I desire his advice, seriously, I do.

Tailz, Really, I am not ranting, but I am passionate. I see what you are going to do and am trying to convince you otherwise.
I completely agree with you in regard to a bear bottom tank and sponge as the best solution - if all I am concerned about is breeding Discus – in that respect, you’re preaching to the choir.

I am thinking about setting up a second tank for a pair of Discus I have that “might” be a pair and that “might” decide to breed. This second tank will be a display tank (because visitors will be able to view it), and I would like to show the Discus in a semi-natural looking environment. If they breed, I want the tank, even though it is planted, even though it is not a dedicated breeding tank, to be setup to facilitate this breeding just in case it happens.

If I was setting up this tank for the one and only purpose of breeding Discus, it would be a bear bottom tank with a sponge filter.

Re: the sponge filter thing, ok, a cannister is your preferred method of filtration. In a bigger tank or planted, fine, you have my vote. But breeding, it is just asking for trouble. Even with the best intensions, the draw of water into the intake of a cannister will be too much, and any new free swimming fry that get close will be sucked onto it. I run sponges on my cannister intakes, and have had neons and cardinals stick to them overnight and die. Fry won't stand a chance, please see that.
How have you attached the sponge to the intake pipe? I’m concerned about the force of water sucking things in at too powerful a level, but am wondering if I can – in essence – spread the load over a larger surface area as a method of lowering the pull of water to the sponge. As I suspect that simply shoving the intake pipe into a sponge will create a high pressure zone around the sponge at the mouth of the pipe.

A breeding cube consists of a bare bottom tank, a heater and an air driven sponge filter. I think everyone will agree. That's it.
You’re preaching to the choir again…

Maybe my passion has made you think I am being a bit hard on you, but I am not, really.
No I don’t think your being hard on me – I just think you’re stuck in your single minded perspective.

Hollowman
Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:59 PM
Ha ha, ok then, :D I'm not stuck in a groove :wink:

I think if you were tto try to spead the load to reduce flow down to what could be safe, I still think you are looking at a sponge of the size of about 6" diameter x 4" long, and a reasonably fine sponge too. This might cause the flow rate to slow down into the cannister though.
If you want a natural but realistic biotope for the fish, then a plain sandy bottom with a nice lot of bogwood roots will look good. In the wild, there are near to no plants, so this would also help in keeping a cleaner environment for the fish. Are you planning on keeping wild or domestic fish ?

H (no rant that time :wink: )

TW
Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:00 PM
I guess each filter set-up is different, but I was lucky enough that my krib fry was not sucked up to the filter tube. I had the filter intake up fairly high & krib & apistos are bottom/mid level fish, so I think that helped. Perhaps some were sucked up and I didn't even notice it, but none were attached to the sponge & the sponge was fairly fine, so I don't think they would have been sucked through the sponge & into the filter. Maybe mum & dad were too good at keeping their brood together, as kribs aggressively guard for around 3 weeks. The main purpose of the krib tank was a planted tank, but the pair were on their own & I was lucky enough to have a successful breeding experience.

I really don't think it would work with discus though.

As long as your main purpose is a planted display tank, then I can see where you're coming from. I just think you may be being overly optomistic about your chances of getting much past the egg or wiggler stage - but maybe you'll have luck.

Have fun.

tailz
Wed Mar 04, 2009, 03:40 AM
I think if you were tto try to spead the load to reduce flow down to what could be safe, I still think you are looking at a sponge of the size of about 6" diameter x 4" long, and a reasonably fine sponge too. This might cause the flow rate to slow down into the cannister though.
A 6 inch diameter sponge, but only 4 inches in depth? Would that not be a little short? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a slightly longer sponge with the pipe inserted most of the way through the sponge, but with holes along the sides of the pipe so that the water is being sucked in via the sides of the pipe (and thus most of the surface area of the sponge) rather than just the open end of the pipe.

http://www.wyldfurr.com/pipe.jpg

If you want a natural but realistic biotope for the fish, then a plain sandy bottom with a nice lot of bogwood roots will look good. In the wild, there are near to no plants, so this would also help in keeping a cleaner environment for the fish.
Now you’re talking my language. Something like, a flooded Amazon forest sort of look.

Are you planning on keeping wild or domestic fish ?
Well, that is dependant upon my local store. But I really already have what will go into the tank. The two I have my eye on in my current tank, seem to have paired up quite well, but are still young, so I have time to kick back and relax. But who knows, they might both end up being duds as far as parents go?

I would not say no to a wild green if it wandered my way tho.

As long as your main purpose is a planted display tank, then I can see where you're coming from. I just think you may be being overly optomistic about your chances of getting much past the egg or wiggler stage - but maybe you'll have luck.
The last time I ended up with a breeding pair, in a planted tank, I got them up to about just under the size of a 5 cent coin, before my flatmate destroyed everything! :(

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 12:01 AM
How many did you get? IMO anything less than 20 isn't worth the effort, but each to their own.

if you get onto ebay for $1Us you can buy a pair of sponge guards that just slip over the intake of a 2213 or 2217 or fluval 4 series canister, saves you a lot of hassel in fabricating a new intake.

what ever you decide to do please post up pics so we can all have a look

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 02:40 AM
Not meaning to get this thread off track again but you dont appear to do change enough water for pretty much any fish let alone discus... Correct me if im wrong but you appear to want to find a way around regular tank maintenance?

tailz
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 05:07 AM
How many did you get? IMO anything less than 20 isn't worth the effort, but each to their own.
How many young Discus did I get? Enough that it gave me a hard time counting them all – easily over 20.

if you get onto ebay for $1Us you can buy a pair of sponge guards that just slip over the intake of a 2213 or 2217 or fluval 4 series canister, saves you a lot of hassel in fabricating a new intake.
Oh?

**starts to google search that topic**

Is this what you were talking about? (http://www.aquacave.com/hydro-sponge-filters-10.html)

what ever you decide to do please post up pics so we can all have a look
Sure, although with the angst I seem to have acuminated I don’t know if I will hang about much longer.

Not meaning to get this thread off track again but you dont appear to do change enough water for pretty much any fish let alone discus... Correct me if im wrong but you appear to want to find a way around regular tank maintenance?
Oy vay!

In those instances when I fly interstate, yes.

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 06:20 AM
No mate they are a blue or yellow sponge bout 2.5 inches across and 6 inches long (i cut mine in half) they have a hole in the center running the length of the sponge bout 22mm wide, they fit nice and snug over the intakes i use them on my peppermint and orange spot tanks.

dont take anyones comments too personally, they;re all jyust pasionate about their fish, i really cant talk my last 2 holiday i sceduled return trips to syd every 72hrs to do water changes.

I always dreamed of a nice little 2.5 foot cube with a nice pair of blue faced heckels in a sunken forest so i understand where your comming from every time i tried to keep a pair in such a tank I was always disapointed with the result (fish looked too thin or stunted never laid enough eggs, never fertilized enough eggs, nitrates got too high, fish got hex +flukes +worms + other paracites) but people overseas do it some one here should be able to do it too.

tailz
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 11:02 PM
No mate they are a blue or yellow sponge bout 2.5 inches across and 6 inches long (i cut mine in half) they have a hole in the center running the length of the sponge bout 22mm wide, they fit nice and snug over the intakes i use them on my peppermint and orange spot tanks.
I think I know the ones you’re talking about, but the ones I am thinking off have quite a large diameter hole down the centre – and the hole goes right the way through, where I think the bottom should be enclosed with sponge. I’ll have a bit more of a hunt around, might visit my local store and see what they have.

dont take anyones comments too personally, they;re all jyust pasionate about their fish, i really cant talk my last 2 holiday i sceduled return trips to syd every 72hrs to do water changes.
I’m not going to bother sticking around if I’m just going to be constantly defending myself. Bugger that for a joke. I’d like to stay and learn a bit more, but who would want to when the reception is so hostile?

I always dreamed of a nice little 2.5 foot cube with a nice pair of blue faced heckels in a sunken forest so i understand where your comming from every time i tried to keep a pair in such a tank I was always disapointed with the result (fish looked too thin or stunted never laid enough eggs, never fertilized enough eggs, nitrates got too high, fish got hex +flukes +worms + other paracites) but people overseas do it some one here should be able to do it too.
But was your only objective to raise the young? The thing that gets me, is that as much as everyone is giving me the doom and gloom treatment…

“A planted tank with a breeding pair in it, will never work!”

I have done it. The last time it seemed to work well for me once I sorted out the filter vacuuming up the fry. It only ended in disaster when I had to fly interstate and my flatmate nuked the tank. So obviously in my mind, it can work as it did in the past (as long as I don’t leave the tank in the hands of a moron).

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 06, 2009, 12:22 AM
(as long as I don’t leave the tank in the hands of a moron).

LOL i know that feeling yeah my only goal is breeding them, i've got 5 pairs and an avg power bill of $1000 per quarter gotta pay the bills.

the hole strait through the center is fine if you leave the skimmer basket of your filter on and just slip it over.

what ever you decide to do good luck to you, I hope your more sucessfull than me.

TW
Fri Mar 06, 2009, 02:33 AM
The last time I ended up with a breeding pair, in a planted tank, I got them up to about just under the size of a 5 cent coinThat was a pretty good effort then.

I have bought those yellow sponges from ebay that ILLUSN mentions. Only thing is, bright yellow will detract from the natural planted look you're trying to achieve. Yes, I know you can hide them behind tank decore, but you don't want to make access to the sponges too difficult. You need to be able to remove them easily for regular squeezing out. Stuff that before went into your cannister, will now cling to the sponge. Keeps your cannister cleaner, but you need to remove the sponge regularly for cleaning. The more awkward it is to remove the sponges, the more likely you are to make a mess with them (the debris can tend to come off the sponge & into the water column, if you're not careful).

I'm trying to find compact black sponges (like the type used on air sponge filters) but in a longer length, but not overly wide. I've seen them on US internet sites, but so far no luck tracking them down here.

Don't forget to share pics when you have the tank all planted up.

Old Dave
Fri Mar 06, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have done it. The last time it seemed to work well for me once I sorted out the filter vacuuming up the fry. It only ended in disaster when I had to fly interstate and my flatmate nuked the tank. So obviously in my mind, it can work as it did in the past (as long as I don’t leave the tank in the hands of a moron).

Hey Tailz,

I would like to add a little constructive criticism here but you have already pointed it out so succinctly!

If you can improve on what you had earlier, go for it!

Two of the things I have read about sponges should be noted here.
Fry often feed from well established filters and I would try to avoid the dark coloured ones if at all possible.

Just my 2 Bobs worth,
:thumb

Old Dave