PDA

View Full Version : Auction: Coming soon......

kevkoi
Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:48 AM
Some of you will remember these spectacular discus posted recently on DF. Shortly, u will have the chance to buy these TOP SHELF discus on auction at an exceptional price!!!

SLS, in colaboration with some Penang breeders of exceptional high quality discus will be listing these SUPER DISCUS on auction on the recently launched AquaAuctions.

These are such high quality specimens which would never make it's way to Australia if not for this auction system.

Breeders will be listing their fish (one fish at a time... so what u see, is what u will get!), at a price they are after (reserve price), and the auction will begin. To start, these auctions will be only open to Australia (for now), so if you see a fish you like, put a bid on it!! If you should win the auction and meet the reserve price, you will pay the breeder directly and the fish will be sent over to Australia on SLS's next avaiable discus shipment (shipments come in every 4-6weeks). SLS will charge a transhipping/quarantine fee plus local shipping for the discus if you are located interstate.

These are just some of the fish that will be on the auction site... SOON.

Proteus
Tue Jan 18, 2005, 12:49 PM
I think my late Christmas present has arrived...

ctvu
Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:54 PM
I'd love it too, but I think it is really difficult for some one like me living in different state, because we have to take all costs into account like transhipping/quaratine and local shipping fee. :( :( :(

Kev

Would you pls give us roughly how much they cost? Thanks

ctvu

kevkoi
Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:10 AM
For the quality these fish are, buying it this way will be the cheapest way to obtain them. The price on these fish would be something like at least 1/2 of what it would cost if we had to buy them from the breeder and then resell thru SLS.

This way, we take less risk so put minimal margins on these fish.

africandiscus
Wed Jan 19, 2005, 02:14 AM
SLS will charge a transhipping/quarantine

Do you know what the above fee would be per fish?

DiscusMan
Wed Jan 19, 2005, 10:18 AM
Hey kev will these fish also come with the same arrive alive guarantee as normally given by these guys and what happens if you buy a particular fish and it dies at any stage during the shipping to you for quarantine. How do they handle if i have hand picked a fish and it dies?

Also what happens if the fish dies during the quarantining etc. Just so i know what to expect as i may have a bit of a bid as well.

Wayne

kevkoi
Wed Jan 19, 2005, 10:59 AM
Yes, of course there is a "Live guarantee". DOA fish would be replaced with a fish of equal value on the next shipment. We will present both the breeder in Penang and the buyer with photo evidence that the fish arrived dead.

So far in all our time importing discus, we have only ever received 6 DOA fish and these have been small fish under 3". We have yet to lose a 3.5" fish and up in shipment on arrival.

We are still in discussions with a number of breeders regarding an acceptable resolution in the unlikely event that the fish arrive in bad condition and does not make it out of quarantine alive. The likely outcome would be a replacement of equal value as well.

Our track record has been pretty good with quarantine of large high value discus. So far, we have lost 3 large discus in quarantine and have brought over 700 pieces of large discus over the year. Our quarantine procedure requires that the fish to be shipped into Australia be passed to our very experienced shipping agent in Penang who will treat the fish for internal and external parasites using very powerful drugs for 5days prior to the fish being sent over here. High value fish like these fish on auction get priority treatment and are quarantined in Australia in a tank of their own. (1fish/tank! hence the charge)

Every measure is taken to ensure that you receive the best and healthiest possible fish at the best possible price, especially when we are talking about shipping these high value fish.

Proteus
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 01:37 AM
Time to drool...

http://www.aquaauctions.com/auctiondetails.php?id=100319

kevkoi
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 01:58 AM
wait wait... more to come. James just headed out for breakfast.. brb to list more.

ml29
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:19 AM
Does anyone know if there are any fees payable to aqua auctions if:
1. you are the buyer?
2. you are the seller?

Kev

Would you know how much SLS will charge for their services? It will make it easier for us when we are bidding.

Thanks

Marvin

kevkoi
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:59 AM
At the moment there are no charges for using AquaAuctions for buyer or seller. I think the old Aquabid system charges the Seller and not the buyer.

For this round of Auctions of this sort of price range fish, SLS is charging a flat fee of $150/fish. This is because with these quality fish, ur fish will essentially be taking up a whole tank to itself for quarantine. We will not risk disease transmission (although highly unlikely but still plausible) for these expensive fish by putting large numbers of fish per tank to cut cost.

kev

Proteus
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:01 AM
FYI, for standard auctions, there will never be fees for the buyer or seller

ml29
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the responses

Davo
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 12:18 PM
Kev,

Will that be $150 shipping/quarantine on top of the winning bid?

Thanks Dave.

kevkoi
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:56 PM
yes, that is correct.

tank
Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:07 PM
so are we talking around $350 roughly a fish thats if the fish reaches it reserve price of $200

kevkoi
Fri Jan 21, 2005, 01:54 PM
Yes that is correct. Fish of the same quality if available thru retail means would likely be closer to the $450mark, and in which case u may have the choice of at most 2-3 fish.

U could alternatively order in a fish sight unseen for that sort of value. Here on auctoin, what u see is what u get.

These are 4-5inch fish (thats not inclusive of tail) and the very best selected fish of the strain. Breeders don't grow on fish to 4" if they aren't better fish. They get sold off small.

Latest strains like the Golden leopard spotted snakeskins of this spotting quality are bred only by 2-3breeders (actually only 1 breeder, but the other 2 are coming close these days) in the world currently. Golden Leopard Spotteds and Golden leopard spots of lower qulaity have swept top honours at international fish shows in the Open Class.

(ADA show open class was won by a GLSS, Duisburg 2004 Open class, same breeder of the GLSS fish took out 2nd place )

And the large 5" albino would come in at almost half the price of the last 5" albino sold in Aust. :wink:

These fish listed from Malaysia are the latest and the best Penang has to offer. Discus aren't just discus to the discerning. :wink:

If you are after the cheaper strains and large 4"-5" fish from $90-$150 these will become available thru SLS directly or thru SLS on the Auction site as well shortly. These are a totally different class of fish.

DiscusMan
Sat Jan 22, 2005, 02:03 AM
Yes that is correct. Fish of the same quality if available thru retail means would likely be closer to the $450mark, and in which case u may have the choice of at most 2-3 fish.

U could alternatively order in a fish sight unseen for that sort of value. Here on auctoin, what u see is what u get.

These are 4-5inch fish (thats not inclusive of tail) and the very best selected fish of the strain. Breeders don't grow on fish to 4" if they aren't better fish. They get sold off small.

Latest strains like the Golden leopard spotted snakeskins of this spotting quality are bred only by 2-3breeders (actually only 1 breeder, but the other 2 are coming close these days) in the world currently. Golden Leopard Spotteds and Golden leopard spots of lower qulaity have swept top honours at international fish shows in the Open Class.

(ADA show open class was won by a GLSS, Duisburg 2004 Open class, same breeder of the GLSS fish took out 2nd place )

And the large 5" albino would come in at almost half the price of the last 5" albino sold in Aust. :wink:

These fish listed from Malaysia are the latest and the best Penang has to offer. Discus aren't just discus to the discerning. :wink:

If you are after the cheaper strains and large 4"-5" fish from $90-$150 these will become available thru SLS directly or thru SLS on the Auction site as well shortly. These are a totally different class of fish.

Mate your making some huge calls in this post.

The fish for sale are all from the same breeder, so how can they be the best penang has to offer, is this the best/only breeder in Penang. I would say there a lot of other who would disagree with that.

Maybe next year you can talk this breeder into sending his fish down to australia and entering the show so we can get some real information to back up these claims, and i mean fish that the breeder has breed himself and not bought from someone else as that doesnt count for nothing in my books.

Wayne

Himbo
Sat Jan 22, 2005, 01:30 PM
Just a suggestion....

It may be better to have "Postage Costs" as "approximately $150 to Sydney, extra for interstate, plus other fees" or something to that extent on the AquaAuctions site instead of "AUD 0.00" under postage costs and "Transhipping agent fee of AUD10/fish".

Some people go to the AquaAuction site without going here first, or bid before they ask about shipping fees (I know I've accidentally done this on eBay) and may get a surprise when they find out the shipping costs.

Very nice fish though....

Cichlabxr
Sun Jan 23, 2005, 12:23 PM
Presumably the breeder
(ADA show open class was won by a GLSS, Duisburg 2004 Open class, same breeder of the GLSS fish took out 2nd place ) is Ronnie Teoh. Or did he buy the fish from the breeder. I did notice that 2nd place in the Snakeskin category at Duisberg 2004 was from Integrated Aquatics of Malaysia.

Dee
Wed Jan 26, 2005, 10:00 AM
How did the Auctions go :?:

Anyone get any of those great fish :?:

Cheers

Dee :)

Cichlabxr
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:23 PM
Hi,

Did anyone buy any of the fish at Auction? Are there going to be anymore or was thai a one off?

Proteus
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:40 AM
I think there might be a couple of HUGE Wild Green Females coming up...

I saw them both the other day, and these girls are like almost 1.5-2 inches thick, and big overall...