PDA

View Full Version : VERY low ph?!

gex18
Mon Jan 17, 2005, 09:48 PM
My ph was 5.14 before i added co2 (testing using ph meter provided with co2), it has sice dropped to 4.80 in 4 days (even with addition of quartz gravel), how do i stabilize and buffer the ph (without added something like proper ph), as the two cobalt blues are producing a slime secretion no, think this is due to the low ph (although they have just produced another clutch of eggs...), other fish and discus seem fine, all eating etc. Will test water tommorrow (dont live at home), am adding electro right to the ro water, not a portion of tap water, will this added buffers and trace elements required? Also have heard bicarb of soda is ok, if so what dosages are required and does it effect fish?

Aurora
Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:46 PM
Have you checked you kH?

If your kH is 0 then you are likely to get pH crashes like that. The carbonate hardness (kH) buffers against pH changes. You can buy kH liquids and powders from the fish shop to increase your kH.

jwight
Wed Jan 19, 2005, 02:42 PM
What plants will shrive with that pH anyway. So whats the point in lowering it further with C02. Sounds like the pH should be raised for your plants to grow better.

jwight
Wed Jan 19, 2005, 02:45 PM
And if plants are the issue the pH should be low enough without wasting C02.

DiscusMad
Wed Jan 19, 2005, 07:27 PM
have you tryed a diffrent type of tester?

I think a lot of fish would not be alive in such low ph but correct me if i am wrong please

Dave76
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:04 AM
I use crushed coral in my Cichlid tanks to raise ph & buffer there.

I've also started buffering my discus tank since the addition of CO2 & controller as my kh is non existant (I've got a solenoid setup so can't ph crash)

I'm trying a tunze product recommended for marine tanks - Hardness granules - basically just high quality calcium carbonate - i'm still adding small amounts to the bag of it in my filter every couple of days to get the right balance right still, but they seem to be doing the trick.

Hope this helps.

Dave