PDA

View Full Version : Pricing of wild discus in Aus....

albatrozz
Mon Dec 15, 2008, 08:18 AM
I still remember before there were hardly any wilds for sale and if they were for sale they were usually at $300+. I went to a LFS the other day and found they had 2 wild caught blue's, adult size only for 150$ each. They looked really good and had a nice round body and were swimming around in the front. What do you guys think, is that a good price?

TW
Mon Dec 15, 2008, 08:23 AM
Sounds good. My recent browns & blues were listed at $200, but because I bought a couple, I paid $180 each. So, I think that $150 is a good price & if you like them, you should grab them.

TW
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 01:32 PM
Same LFS has some newly arrived wilds. They're listed as wild blues, but I really suspect they might be wild greens. I bought 4 of them & I'm really happy with them. The other blues they have for $150, I think might be browns, but they are very nice looking. I have enough browns, so I didn't get any of them.

They are in QT & still very much need to settle in.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_0827.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_0822.jpg

Hollowman
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 08:15 PM
Robyn, they are lovely fish, but look quite thin, feed 'em up! :wink:

TW
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:55 PM
Do you think so? They look quite big & thick to me, but I defer to your expertise. It might be the angle of the shot? They are very good eaters (just not beef heart as yet :x ). Poops look healthy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they lost weight during their recent travels (Amazon > Germany > Australia > LFS QT > LFS Display > My QT). They apparently did suffer from the travel & at one stage were quite black & were still a little dark when I brought them home on New Year's Eve. They have lightened up a lot & already recognise me as a source of food.

TW
Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:28 PM
Hollowman, Heiko Bleher just confirmed they are skinny. I was just going by their head on look, but I think I see what you are both saying now. Side on you can see the ridges & bumps of their bones???

I wish they would eat the beef heart, as that would fatten them the quickest. So far, they eat flake, brine shrimp & bloodworms. I will do my best to fatten them up.

lpiasente
Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:18 AM
Very nice Robyn

TW
Mon Jan 19, 2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks lpiasente

Hollowman, if you pop back in this thread, are they looking a little less skinny yet. They seem to be eating well, including beef heart now, & I hope I'm feeding them enough.

Earlier pic you commented on them being skinny http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_0827.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_0822.jpg

Tonight's Picture
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/74G%20280L%20Wild%20Discus%20Tank/000_0856.jpg
There is a 4th, but he was just outside the camera frame when I took the pic. He looks much the same.

ivo
Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:46 PM
they are looking real good. great job!

Matt15
Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:34 PM
WOW....!!! talk about a perfect picture... Robyn they are absolutely gorgeous fish.

Hollowman
Mon Jan 19, 2009, 06:56 PM
Excellent transformation Robyn, they look like new fish. The tails have grown back and the eyes are stunning. Good work :wink:

H :)

lpiasente
Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:10 PM
really beautiful fish.

1fish2fish3fish
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 08:28 AM
great line up..lol, nice looking fish!..
wish I can get some clear pics like that..
gonna keep trying too..
beef heart all the way!

Hood
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 09:42 AM
I still remember before there were hardly any wilds for sale and if they were for sale they were usually at $300+. I went to a LFS the other day and found they had 2 wild caught blue's, adult size only for 150$ each. They looked really good and had a nice round body and were swimming around in the front. What do you guys think, is that a good price?

Yeah, everywhere I look wild caughts are $250 over hear in Perth, even ON-LINE!!

Man, I wish I could find some spectacular fish like urs,(btw - they are stunning!!)
and for such a fantstic price!!

Oh, and congrats on fattening them up,
they really do look a thousand times better since you've taken care of them...

waitaki
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 09:46 AM
great transformation in 17 days!

TW
Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks all for such encouraging comments. I've been trying to fatten them up since Hollowman told me they were skinny. Heiko Bleher saw their pic & told me he could see their bones & they'd be in trouble if I didn't fatten them up soon. I thought they were fattening up, but wanted confirmation, so thanks for that.
beef heart all the wayMerrilyn's recipe is the base, with some Pro-Growth & Pro-More & NatuRose, spinach & banana added to it. They wouldn't touch it at first, only taking FBW & FSBS, but then they got the idea that when I dropped things in, it was likely to be food. Once they tasted it, they now gobble it all up. I've been feeding them as frequently as juvi's (work permitted), so they can catch up.

They have settled in well. At first, they jumped each time the main tank lights went on or off, even though the moon lights were left on all the time to lessen the shock. They're not bothered by the light at all now.

I can hardly wait until their QT finishes to see how they look with sand & driftwood in the tank.

Heiko Bleher
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher again and I am happy that you are bringing those nice discus fishes into better conditions.

Remember, wild discus are normally very strong and tough (much more than any tank breeds), once you give them enough food to recover (and do not stop, go one please), you will be rewarded, you will see. Even more. Those greens will show eventually colours you will not believe. But do not stop feeding them very well and variated food.

All the very best,

always

Heiko Bòeher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

TW
Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks Mr Bleher, I will do as you say & continue to feed them well :D

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 09, 2009, 05:12 AM
They look gorgeous !

Can't wait to see them in another month or two :P

mistakes r crucial
Thu Feb 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
Many Wilds I see have beautiful eyes and yours are no exception. Top job TW.
Cheers
MAC

TW
Thu Feb 12, 2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks Merrilyn & Mac

I couldn't resist, as I knew the LFS had 2 more Wild Greens left from this bunch. I went back there yesterday & picked them up. They are doing their QT in a separate tank (thanks for the loan ILLUSN). Wish I'd bought all 6 in the first place, so they'd all be together now, instead of 4 in one tank & 2 in the other. Looking forward to when I can join them up together. I think 6 will make a nice group in the 72G, together with a few non discus tank mates.

LFS only had 1 lonely wild brown left. Sort of felt sorry for it, but I have enough wild browns already.