PDA

View Full Version : Discus variety,

flukes
Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:56 AM
It seems all my discus want to eat is blood worms, i try to feed them tetra color bits and my own b/h mix but they just dont seem as interested. The flakes and b/h end up on the bottom and the cory's end up eating them.
Should i just keep feeding them everything but blood worms for a few days to get a different diet in them or is it ok just to feed them bloood worms all the time.

Proteus
Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:45 AM
I would hold off on the Bloodworms until they start to readily accept everything else on offer... trust me, they will eat, and they will learn to like everything...

Then when you give them some BW, *w00t* they will go nuts...

:D

Essayons89
Wed Mar 17, 2004, 10:28 AM
I guess that I feel rather fortunate as to what my discus will eat. So far, knock on wood, I haven't ran into any problems with them being picky as to what they will eat.

I feed the some bloodworms every day. I mix the bloodworms with either brine shrimp, beefheart or krill. Every once in a while I'll offer mysis shrimp or plankton for something different.

They are big enough to where I have been thinking about feeding them pieces of earthworm.

Bryan

flukes
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:20 AM
didnt know they would eat earth worm, ive never heard this meantioned before! Is it good for them, like high in iron or something or you just going to feed it to them for something different??

Essayons89
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:32 AM
Earthworms are very high in protein. I haven't done this yet but I am considering it. I was thinking of feeding the worms as an occasional treat. My angels would go nuts for them too.

Bryan

flukes
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:44 AM
Can you buy them or do you have to go bush wacking??

Essayons89
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 05:06 AM
A couple of the LFS that I frequent carry live food. Earthworms, wax worms, red worms and live black worms.

Bryan

flukes
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 05:10 AM
Iam a bit concerned about feeding them live food for the parasites and things and also my mate feed his discus live blood worms and then they wouldn't eat anything else, even when he starved them for a while. So now he is looking at harvesting bloodworms!! I wonder how hard it is?

Essayons89
Fri Mar 19, 2004, 05:13 AM
I couldn't tell you the first thing about harvesting bloodworms.

Bryan

jamesmc
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 12:57 AM
The answer to this is easy. Feed them nothing else but your new food. Soon enough they will begin to take it. In the early stages, siphon off uneaten food.

James

flukes
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 02:28 AM
I need new things to feed them.
Where do you find kyrill, red worms, earth worms, wax wroms???
All my LFS sells are blood wroms and brine shrimp. And this discus diet which i dont know whats in but they wont touch the stuff.
I made a bh mix but i think i did something wrong, so is it possible for anyone to send me down some?? Or if they are in melbourne can i buy some.

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 06:17 AM
i wonder if the compost worm kits you can pick up at bunnings would do the trick?

my farther in law has one and their are thousands of the little suckers.

don't know if these are any good for them though, just an idea.

flukes
Sun Jun 20, 2004, 06:26 AM
The bins are a good idea but you need red worms not the common garden worms.

kalebjarrod
Mon Jun 21, 2004, 09:25 AM
i think compost worms and garden worms different?

but i never said i was a smart man (mind you no one else has either)

Proteus
Mon Jun 21, 2004, 10:10 AM
but i never said i was a smart man

Awesum, someone else who uses that line along with myself and Mr Gump...

lol :lol:

luvfishies
Mon Jun 21, 2004, 11:55 AM
Common garden worms are a good nutritious food source, as are the "red wigglers" that are sold for sportfishing.

Grindal worms, whiteworms, are also easy to culture, and an excellent treat for the fish.