PDA

View Full Version : Eartheaters?

flgirl1977
Wed Nov 19, 2008, 07:07 PM
So I got my 120 gallon tank that I will be setting up after we move. When I move my discus to this tank, I plan on having cardinal tetras and rummy-nose tetras.

I would like something to inhabit the floor of the tank. I really like eartheaters, but I'm not sure if they would be suitable tank-mates to my discus.

If they are okay, is there a particular species to have/avoid? I've heard orange-heads are more aggressive, so I guess those would be out. Forgive my ignorance, I'm not too familiar with SA species. :oops:

Or.... should I just stick with rams or some kind of dwarf? I'm really hoping the latter though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The foot-print of the tank is 4x2x2 and I plan on having driftwood, sand some swords and maybe a couple anubias...

Thanks...

flgirl1977
Thu Nov 20, 2008, 01:45 PM
No one knows if these guys are ok with discus?? :(

Basti
Mon Jun 22, 2009, 01:04 PM
i'd like to know the answer to this too

SusieQ
Tue Jun 23, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hi there... I've had discus several times and now have a geo/angel tank the same dimensions as yours. I have orangeheads but they are juvies about 3 1/2 inches is the largest. I treat my ohs like discus... water 82/83 and lots of water changes. Same types of food except I would not do the beefheart etc of course as that is way too much protein for the geos.. I find the ohs to be very entertaining.. Like discus, they really should be kept in groups of at least 4 and preferably 6.. In the future I plan a larger tank and want to combine the ohs and discus.. but the discus would be semi adults.. not juvies..
I feel the only issue with the 120 gallon might be the footprint... for sure you would need to get smaller growing geos and no gymnos as they require cooler waters and a cooling down period.. I've had angels with discus with no problems and think the ohs would be the same... they pretty much ignore anyone else in the tank except for their own kind and of course at feeding time.. At feeding time the geos are like sharks but they do share.. I would definitely get the discus situated first.. then add the geos at a later date and of course after a qt... The only other issues would be when the geos start to breed.. but they are fairly slow growing.. I think a pair breeding might be a bit much for the discus in your size tank.. It's hard to tell... As always a lot depends on their personalities. Also geos need sand to sift and will uproot plants as the geos grow..Not because they want to eat them but as they hunt for food etc. I have swords and crypts and have some flat rocks around them and they are fine so far..
Eventually, I'm going to try the combo.. If you have a backup plan I think you should give it a try.. but a warning... the geos are almost as addictive as discus :lol: :lol: :lol: . Good luck Sue :D