PDA

View Full Version : phosphoric acid

heckelboy
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:26 AM
I was reading an article by Jack Wattley (the king of discus). He does not use any medication to treat any internal or external parasites. He lowers his PH to 4. He uses phosphoric acid. He anyone used it? I am going to do experiments on an empy tank I have lying around and monitor Ph fluctuations. I am going to use and american pinpoint ph monitor. I will be recording Ph every hour over 2 days.

Has anyone got experiance with phosphoric acid ? I am not looking for people to comment on the dangers of PH fluctuations. Thanks

DiscusMan
Sun Jan 16, 2005, 12:04 PM
I read your post a couple of days ago and i tonight got around to reading my Jack Wattely book.

The book i have is called Handbook of Discus ( its actually from teh ADA library and i have it on loan )

Anyway in the book starting on Page 86 Jack is explaining all the diseases that he is aware of as of the publish date of this book , 1985.

He mentions in this book that he uses formalin to treat for Flukes and di-N-butyl tin oxide for treament of Capillaria. I would question that date of the book you are getting your information from and would add that the keeping of any animal changes over the years.

Jack clearly uses medication as do all keepers to get rid of things like worms etc. Ph changes i can see could effect some creatures and if you wanna spend much time experimenting than go for it. I think your time would be much better spent enjoying your fish, trying not to get them sick and having fun and using the meds that have been developed to make our fish keeping time so much easier.

Wayne

heckelboy
Sun Jan 16, 2005, 07:34 PM
Its from exotic discus of the world book

jim from sydney
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 10:12 AM
I was reading an article by Jack Wattley (the king of discus). He does not use any medication to treat any internal or external parasites. He lowers his PH to 4. He uses phosphoric acid. He anyone used it? I am going to do experiments on an empy tank I have lying around and monitor Ph fluctuations. I am going to use and american pinpoint ph monitor. I will be recording Ph every hour over 2 days.

Has anyone got experiance with phosphoric acid ? I am not looking for people to comment on the dangers of PH fluctuations. Thanks

Heckelboy did you get any results you could post????