cheers wayne

Proteus
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:34 AM
http://www.ciklid.se/ciklidbilder/mc_77.jpg

:wink:

Mattzilla
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:50 AM
veeeeery nice looking fish

i think wayne got them from a friend of mine. they are great looking fish and are from EXCELLENT stock.

i have been thinking about getting some myself....

jim
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:27 PM
how big do they grow?? are they well with discus??

Mattzilla
Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:29 AM
good discus tank mates i hear....but i could be wrong....kev am i right????

Proteus
Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:47 AM
They are now listed on www.aquaauctions.com

:wink:

Davo
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 08:11 AM
A couple of questions,

How big will they grow in a 4x2x2 tanks?

I have a planted discus tank. Will they uproot plants? Are they suitable for planted tanks?

Dave. :?:

kevkoi
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:50 AM
I actually saw and grew up some of the first batches of these that came into Australia about a year ago. When they first came in they were 6-7cm and blooooody pricey.

I grew these up to about 12cm before they were sold to a few friends. These I believe are the fry from those fish. The original batch of fish are about 25cm now and are looking blooooooody awesome.

I'm sorry, but that picture is a very very poor example of how trully magnificent these fish are. Their pelvic fins are loooooooooong and trailly. their colour is a lot more intense (if it is the variant I think they are.)

They are not the most aggressive fish unless they are breeding (then they can get territorial.... hey they're cichlids!).

They are also called earth eaters because they like to grovel in the gravel and dig, so a substrate of fine sand or something small enough for them to sift thru would be good. Because of their habit of sifting and digging, plants often get dislodged. Their ideal tank would be mostly open space, with a few pieces of flat rocks/slate and some drifwood, and possibly a few amazon swords positions in the correct places with their roots protected.

I believe the biggest these fish ever get is about 30cm, which makes them big enough to be spectacular looking center piece fish!!

BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL FISH!

Sorry, I'm biased.... love the south american cichlids, espeically the earth-eater group.

kev