PDA

View Full Version : Project on wild discus

arjones
Fri Oct 31, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hi guys, im doing a presentation on the ethics of catching discus from the wild at uni. I am obviously doing my own research on this but seeing some of you guys are already clued up about this topic i was wondering if u wanted to throw some information at me and/or point me in the direction of some good sources on the subject.
Hopefully this will start some great debates as well, cheers guys.

rwel4809
Sat Nov 01, 2008, 01:57 AM
Hmmmm, I have just looked for an old thread about this.. unfortunately it got a little heated.. maybe it was removed??

I don't keep wilds... but only because I can't afford them and don't have the space..

First of all the market needs to be aware that wild fish are often more delicate than captive strains, usually the price would keep the inexperienced away from wilds so that problem is self regulating I suppose.

I think that it is worthwhile thinking of the topic of catching wild fish as a whole - for instance, I believe that most if not all of the cardinal tetras in captivity are wild caught, is there any ethical difference between catching these and discus?

I think that there is the question of ecology, does a captive breeding program ensure their continuation in the face of increasing pollution and land clearence in the Amazon?

Is it very distressing for wild fish to be transported, and is there any evidence that they recognise their captivity, as opposed to their freedom (surely such abstract ideas are only possible for highly intelligent beings?)

I personally think that wild fish collection should be strictly monitored so that wild populations are not depleated to the point of extinction. Given the proper regulation the wild fish industry can benefit the local and indigenous Amazon communities. On the contrary, however, if there is poor regulation, over fishing, and poaching, then everyone will eventually suffer - the fish, aquarists and amazonian communities.

HTH R