PDA

View Full Version : Black Hairy Alage

skoom
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 04:46 AM
I've been battling with this BLACK HAIRY 'ALGAE' for months now. First it was all over my anubias.... so I just threw the lot in the bin. I thought that may solve the problem but I now notice that this black stuff is growing on the glass....literally covering all surfaces.....

Question:

a) What can I do to remove this black hairy algae?
I have tried scraping it off but it's useless.
Is it algae? Should I try an algae-cide?

b) Does this stuff affect my discus?
It has not affected them so far....but just to be safe.

My tank is std 4' T 28C Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate ?10ppm pH6.8
bare bottom

jim
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 04:56 AM
the black hair algea won't affect your fish...just looks bad in the tank...all you can do is to cut the leafs that have black hair algea grow on it..

maybe you can buy medi to kill them..but i never use before...good luck...it's really pain in the ass...

is your tank close to sun light??
a UV unit can slow growth all kind of algea...at least it works for me..

Rgoganj
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 05:11 AM
Skoom,

I now the frustration, here is what I did that worked for me.

1) Algae on glass, rock and wood, I used boiling water to kill it.
I used a syringe filled with boiling (just boiled) water, and shot the effected area.
Try to keep the fish and kids away when you do it. (Lost a krib who was to inquisitive)
This is OK if it in small areas, other wise with rock take them out and boil.

2) On the plants I used hydrogen peroxide, chemist should sell it. (Food grade)
Again fill a syringe and shoot the affected area of the leaf. A bit at a time or you my loose the leaf.
You will notice that the hair algae will start to turn white within a few hours.

I hope this work for you.

Also check your phosphates, black hair algae grows very well with high phosphate levels.

Azoo have a product that claims to kill it.

Rob.G

fozziwozzi
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 06:59 AM
Try a siamese algae eater but get a baby one if you can and it will eat away your black hair algae, it worked for me!!

skoom
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 08:05 AM
thanks. i might pop into the LFS and ask if they have a product that will solve the problem...it really is an eyesore.

with the boiling water method.....does it mean I have to take all the fish out first....etc..... probably not too practical for me.

i might need to check for phosphate from tap...shouldn't really accumulate because i change the water sufficiently.

thanks again...

will update with any succesful methods...

i like the idea of the siamese algae eater....

Rgoganj
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 08:48 AM
Skoom,

With boiling water just make sure the fish don't get in the way. Thats the idea behind using a syringe
You need to do smallish areas at a time.

Siamese algae eater will eat the algae but they prefer fish food so try not to feed them, i know easier said than done.
Also when you go to LFS make sure it is the SEA (crossocheilus siamensis)not the flying fox (epalzeorhynchos kalopterus)

AAW has the azoo product for hair algea
http://www.aquaria.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/6777

E-mail them to make sure.

Also try plantgeek forum
http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/index.php

Hope it helps

weird
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:31 AM
IMHO I would go with a natural solution. I would be careful with adding any chemical that kills aglae, as it may do more than that ... I have heard bad things about LFS algae products.

skoom
Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks.

I went to the LFS and spotted a tank with 'true siamensis'. I assumed it was the Siamese Algae Eater.

I bought ONE and it is 2cm. ($3.25)

I am not sure if it is too small...I've had a lot of small fish and they don't seem to be as hardy....

Should I buy another?

The issue about not feeding them.... that might be a bit difficult because the Discus need to eat right? so there might be some scraps....

thanks anyway....will update on progress.

weird
Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:10 AM
They are omnivorous, so they will appreciate the scraps. :)

My bristlenose in my discus tanks grow faster than when they are fed a vegetable diet ... I think they like abit of protein now and again.

I too am battling brown/black algae. I am combating it with burshing off the algae with a sponge, doing huge water changes after these, adding bristlenose and adding more plants, and more light for the plants.

It looks abit ugly now, but when the plants have won it will look stunning.

skoom
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:21 AM
The little bugger isn't eating any of the algae, just sits in the corner underneath the sponge filter....

Is he too small...hasn't acclimatised yet ... or should I get him a friend...

The hairy algae is a real eye-sore!

Rgoganj
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:47 AM
Skoom,

Try about 3 SAE since they are small.

Trebs
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:56 AM
I'd avoid using chemicals to get rid of algae, they'll propably do as much damage to your plants. Read the label, they often say 'not to be used in planted tanks'. It's not great for your fish either.

When the black hair algae gets on the glass us a razor blade to scrape it of them vacum out the lose pieces. Pretty easy to get rid of it this way.

I don't think there are any fish that will eat black beard algae.

A few things you can do to control the algae:
Add fast growing plant(s) such as Wisteria to suck up extra nutrients.
Put your lights on a timer and limit your photoperiod to 10-11hrs a day.
Avoid over-feeding.
Provide stable conditions for best plant growth.

africandiscus
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:33 AM
Avoid over-feeding.

Why does that cause algae?

Dave76
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:46 AM
Another fish to try would be some sort of Otocinclus. I added 6 to a 50gal to combat algae - they do a good job of it - they didn't like the hair algae that was already at a decent length - but once I removed all of that I haven't seen any new algae appear.

Dave

jim
Thu Jan 13, 2005, 07:17 AM
they are not very hardy fish....unfortunally...I bought 4 ..only 1 servived...and not cheap too...

weird
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:02 AM
Boy, my 4x2x2 foot was shocking about 2 weeks ago ... now with the introduction of the BNs (10 in total) I can see all of the bottom of the tank ... it had an orange algae looking coating. What champions these guys are. They systematicaly work around the tank. Our pet name for them is the 'contractors'.

My plants also have a black hairy looking algae, which I clean off once a week with a sponge. Does not seem to damage the plants. I follow this with a a 40% water change. ATM these don't seem to be growing back as quickly.

This weekend I will adding more plants (background this time in pots ... blyxa ), so I am hoping to starve algae through thriving plants.

Soon I will confident enough to take some pictures ... man following a tight budget ... it has been quite a few months (4) getting this tank right for pics.

Dave76
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:15 AM
Hi Jim

I haven't had a problem with ottos at all - I've got 16 between three tanks - I haven't lost any - maybe I've just been lucky....

Dave

weird
Sat Jan 22, 2005, 12:32 PM
Picked up some 4 x SAEs from SLS today, they started working on the black hair algae straight away. I would recommend trying these guys.

kalebjarrod
Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:27 PM
some plecos find black hair algee to be a real treat as well

Aurora
Mon Jan 24, 2005, 02:57 AM
Can you get get SAEs in Melbourne?

I havent seen them around?

skoom
Tue Jan 25, 2005, 06:05 PM
In the end i just used a piece of filter wool and scrubbed all sides of the tank. Mighty effort..... but at least there hasn't been any more black algae at the moment.

There are spots growing, but will scrub again and again.

My SAE still didn't seem interested in any algae.... just waited for beefheart scraps LOL...

weird
Tue Jan 25, 2005, 10:37 PM
Thats funny about the SAEs not interested. 3 weeks prior I added 8 BNs, they have stripped off all the brown algae from the bottom and all the sides of my 4x2x2 tank. Introduction of 4 SAEs , I have seen less and less black hair algae on the plants ... and they spend most of their time around the leaves so I guess it is them as my BN stick to the sides and bottom. They have been great introduction to the tank, they sometimes school with my rummynose.

Skoom how old are the SAEs ? I hear when they become adults they loose interest in algae.