PDA

View Full Version : Settling in well :)

AdelaideAnt
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 06:23 AM
Well after a fungal scare due to blackout my new discus are happy, healthy and eating like pigs :). I've decided to get some more, i'm getting some good quality browns which are surprisingly very inexpencive. Any one know why these fish are inexpencive?? is it just because they are common?? They are an awesome looking fish.

Anthony 8)

Essayons89
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 09:05 AM
You're always going to end up paying more for the "fancier" strains of discus. Also, the size of the fish will play a part in how much the cost will be. Larger fish usually run more than small ones.

The brown discus is a naturally occuring discus and is one of four types. The others are the heckel, the blue, and the green discus.

Bryan

DiscusMan
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 05:55 AM
Discus are sold and priced based upon most things. Supply and demand.

When i was first starting out i tried to buy brown discus. All the shops i went to never had one. All they stocked was all these fancy and expensive fish. I am with you, i think brown discus are awesome. Whats more they are cheap.

Wild browns are more expensive, but not long ago wilds where all you could get, my dad kept discus when i was a kid and he had browns and turquiose and that was about all you could get as they were all wild caught. Then someone figured out how to breed them, the rest is history so to speak.

Proteus
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 09:21 PM
The more I think about it, the more I want to set up a "Wild" tank... have some Browns, maybe Heckels and whatever I can source... of course they wont be wild caught (too many problems there) but at least they will be pure strains...

kevkoi
Sat Mar 20, 2004, 10:45 PM
Hey Rohan, heckels are not something to dabble into lightly... most if not all pure heckels I believe are wildcaught. 'Heckels' out of Asia, are usually crosses.... Have some problem breeding true heckels apparently.

kev