PDA

View Full Version : Internal bacteria infection ?

weird
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 03:14 AM
Hi one of my bolivian rams which I thought was pregnant because it was sitting on a leaf and has a swollon tummy and red near the anus area ... looks like she is sick. I am thinking internal bacteria infection. Can anyone recommend any type of treatment ?

Trebs
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 04:48 AM
Is it looking okay otherwise? Is it pink or red? Can you see if the scales are pointing out from the body at all? Could potentially be a problem, but I'd have a guess and say it's in breeding form.

weird
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 07:13 AM
No scales pointing. Now sitting in the bottom of the tank. Have increased water changes. Could not really find much on the net in regards to treating internal bacterial infections ... and I am worried I have misdiagnosed. Will wait and see.

DiscusMad
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 12:52 PM
I had a girl that had held on to her eggs and her tummy went from purple to red.

she was waitin fror me to put in the oil burner that they use to lay there egs in lol.

is your tank gravel or sand cause i lost my first lot of girls due to them having gravel in the tank and no sand to lay there eggs on

weird
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks DiscusMad, I am not sure what happening ... bare bottom tank ... but heaps of leaves ... 3 large driftwoods heavily planted with anubia.

Pablo (sorry abouth the names) the male is the one I thought was pregnant <confused already?>,

and Salma the female we think maybe is a guy.

These guys are confusing me ... Salma who we thought was the female transformed from a dull looking ram to a bright colored ram today for the first time in 2 months and started aggressively play fighting with the "sick" ram ... who is always extremely brightly colored (and still is).

The "sick" guy is acting a little better ... man I am so confused.

DiscusMad
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 01:17 PM
I'll see if i an get some pis of my lot but as you can see the picture the female has a purple belly
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/files/img_0526.jpg

I think they are sooooo coool

weird
Sun Jan 09, 2005, 04:22 AM
thanx guys the stomach inflamation has gone. She looks she is in recovery from something as is a little quiter than normal. I hope she was pregnant but I am beginning to think it was wishful thinking on my part. :D

I have to learn up more on these guys, and I am surprised I have done such a bad job at sexing them as it is not supposed to be hard but again these are my first two. :oops:

These guys and the 2 keyholes in my community tank have been a really great introduction to south amercian dwarf cichlids