PDA

View Full Version : Water aging drum setup

DIY
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 05:20 AM
Had a few questions about my "remote control" water setup so thought I'd post some pictures.. :wink:

Here is a picture of the pump/filter unit, the installed cartridge is a chlorine filter - removes 99.9% of chlorine. I age for minimum of 24 hours so the chlorine should already be gone but this gives me a bit of extra security.

The other picture is of the two 200+ litre drums showing the insulation wrapped around them, inlet is the black hose going up the lhs, outlet is the two taps going to the 1" pipe which connects to the pump.

The drums are joined using 2x 25mm bulkheads as well as the hose linkup at the bottom. Each drum has a heater and airstone to help "balance" the heating. The heaters are connected to one controller.

DIY
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 05:25 AM
Next is a picture showing the float valve inside the l/h drum, notice the water agitation :wink:

And finally a picture showing the heater controller (cheapie from ebay) and the remote switches - one switches the heater & airpump, the other switches the pressure pump. You can buy them from Dick Smiths and similar electronic stores - individual switches can be bought as cheap as $10 and remote control unit with a switch as cheap as $20.

Tommo
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 06:52 AM
Nice work , although i think the cat looks like it needs a swim :)

cheers

Andrew

pink66
Thu Oct 02, 2008, 08:15 AM
Now DIY you are way too modest... the coolest thing is how the water magically comes out of the wall socket and fills the tank....

LOOK MUM, NO BUCKETS

and bill, ben and buddy say hello !!!!!!!!!

Bad Inferno
Wed Oct 15, 2008, 11:54 AM
DIY,

Looks great. wow that pump must have some power...how long does it take to change 50-100 litres ?

I do not worry about heating my water...it changes by 1.5 degrees over a 60 min fill time however fish do not seem to mind. I only change 50 litre in a 400 L tank at a time

rob

DIY
Wed Oct 15, 2008, 12:14 PM
The carbon based filter has slowed it down a fair bit.. before I added the filter, 100L took about 5 minutes :lol:

With the filter on it's closer to 10-15 minutes.

For my planted tank I could get away without heating the water and doing the same as you, but I have a few other tanks including a juvi growout tank that I'm changing up to 75% on at a time so it would be too much of a shock not to heat :oops: