PDA

View Full Version : Fat Cardinal

Aurora
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 02:38 AM
Hi all,

I have noticed in the last few days that one of my cardinals has gotten really fat. It not just when I feed them either. I thought maybe it could be full of eggs? I would have thought if they were going to spawn that all the females would get fat with eggs at the same time?
Also I thought that cardinals were meant to be really hard to breed? I just have them in a community tank, I havent been trying to breed them.
I will try and post a pic if I can in the next couple of days.

Dave

jim
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 03:00 AM
I think there is something wrong with your cardinal..better give salt treatment ASAP....
cardinal never breed in fish tank (I think)

Aurora
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 12:09 PM
I thought they can breed, it was just hard to breed them. It seems to be fine. It doesnt seem to have any problem other than its fat. I will have to have a good look at it tomorrow and see.

Dave

Essayons89
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 12:46 PM
Supposedly Cardinals breed along the same lines as Neon tetras but a larger breeding tank should be used, up to 500 eggs can be layed. They need very soft water with a pH between 5.0 and 6.0 and a hardness between 1-2degrees along with soft/dim lighting. They spawn best in the evening. Whether they are easier or more difficult to spawn than neons, I don't know.

Bryan

Aurora
Sun Jan 09, 2005, 06:31 AM
Your right, it could be sick.

I looked at it more closely. It seems to be breathing really fast. The other cardinals you dont see breathing at all, but this one is opening and closing its mouth quite quickly. It also hides out behind the plants when all the others are coming for feeding time. Apart from that it seems to swim normally and be active.

Dave

Robbies Discus
Mon Jan 10, 2005, 04:42 AM
I'd say catch it and move it into a smaller tank for treating. It could have dropsy, so have a look at it from the top, and if it's scales are standing out then it has dropsy. Dropsy is not a curable disease (only cured it one in one of my bettas but he was forever ill after it) so if it is dropsy then it's better IMO to PTS the cardinal.

A1pryo
Mon Jan 10, 2005, 08:34 AM
Sorry to jump in here, but i have a blue ram that may have dropsy. I have heard of it but never seen it.

My question is, is it contagious especially concerning discus? Where does it come from?

Aurora, your cardinal symptoms are the same as this blue ram rather a shame :?

Robbies Discus
Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:04 AM
yes dropsy can be contagious.

it has no known cause tho some ppl suspect organ failure, all it is really is fluid build-up in the body, that is why I have found that "high" doses worked for my first betta who had it, tho now I don't bother with salts in dropsym, because the end result is a fish with a lower immune system and a damaged organ.

if it is dropsy, they should look like a pine-cone from the top (scales sticking out). take them out and the best thing to do would be to Put To Sleep the fish in question.

A1pryo
Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:23 AM
Bugger!!!!! I just hope my discus dont come down with it. I removed the ram when first suspected the problem.

I guess ill wait and watch hope for the best.

Aurora
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 01:29 AM
Hi all,

I checked it out, it doesnt have scales that stick out, they seem fine. It is still alive, so I hope whatever it is will run its course or something.

I dont have another tank at the moment. My other smaller thank Ive got my discus in because they werent eating.

If dropsy was caused by organ failure then it wouldnt be contagious, unless the organ failure was caused by a viral or bacterial infection.

Aurora
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 12:50 PM
Well I finally managed to get a decent pic of it. As you can see, its scales arent sticking out. It just looks fat.

Aurora
Sun Jan 16, 2005, 11:05 PM
Good news, it seems its stomach has shrunk back to nearly normal size. It is still breathing quickly, but hopefully this means it is on the road to recovery.
I guess sometimes doing nothing is the best option.......its how I live my life by ;)

Robbies Discus
Thu Jan 20, 2005, 07:57 AM
that's good to hear Dave :D