PDA

View Full Version : They spawned.....but....

Essayons89
Sat Mar 13, 2004, 11:08 PM
I have a few discus that I was growing out in a 40 gallon breeder until i could get their new and larger tank setup so I can add a few more. There are two red melons and two blue diamonds in this tank which is heavily planted and has driftwood in it.

Anyway, these fish are about 10 months old and are still a little skittish when I approach the tank sometimes. The largest red melon and the largest blue diamond wouldn't leave the front of the tank and always stayed in the same spot in front of a piece of driftwood.

Upon closer examination I saw eggs! They were doing fine. The discus were mouthing the eggs to keep them clean and they were fanning them with their fins. All was well.

Then the wigglers came....and went. They ate them but this wasn't unexpected. They are very young fish and there will be other times. I was just happy to see a spawn.

Bryan

danDman
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 05:03 AM
Hi Bryan,
Did you get to see which of the two is the female? BD x Red Melon. Hmmm...Interesting cross. I wonder what the frys will look like.

Dan

Essayons89
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 05:46 AM
Dan,

I have no idea which one is the male and which is the female. I never seem to catch my fish in the act of spawning.

The same applies to my angels. Must be a conspiracy. ;)

Bryan

tennhound
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 05:06 PM
Can't wait to see what they look like when they finally survive.

MARIE

danDman
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 05:34 PM
You will need to separate them in their own tank. Otherwise they won't survive.

Dan

Essayons89
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 07:14 PM
Well, I'm going to give the pair every opportunity to "get it right". I will pull an occasional spawn like I do with the angels to hatch and grow out, but I don't have the room to pull every one.

The pair is going to stay in this tank, the others and the new discus, when I get them, will have their own tank.

Thanks,
Bryan

danDman
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 09:19 PM
Hi Bryan,
Discus are a little more complicated than angels. Have you raised discus artificially? They won't survive unless you are willing to feed and change water every 2 hrs. You can try but natural raising is the easiest way. Here's a link

Artificial Rearing (http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/breeding_genetics/fry_rearing/artificial_rearing2.shtml)

Good luck

dan

Essayons89
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 09:25 PM
That is why I would let them try it the natural way. With my job I just wouldn't have time to care for the eggs if I hatched them myself. I was thinking that since I was succesful with angels, discus would be the next step. ;)

Bryan

Mattzilla
Wed Mar 17, 2004, 10:50 PM
let them practice a few more times in the community tank then get them their own little love tank.... i have heard that letting them spwan a few times in the community tank will strengthen their bond and teach them to protect their eggs.

matt