PDA

View Full Version : Control Panel For My Tank

Tommo
Fri Sep 19, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi Everyone

It's A Automated Control System With Either A Touch Of A Button, Or A Flick Of A Switch . Or Just Let It All Do It's Business By It's Self.

Ok Here We Go .

I Have A PLC "Programmable Logic Controller" That Has 12 Inputs And 6 Outputs .

This Means I Can Use For Example 12 Switches/Buttons " It Can Be Much More Complex Than This But We Will Keep It Very Simple " No Disrespect To Anyone Here .

With These 12 Inputs I Can Program The Out Puts To Do Anything That I Wanted."Mind You Though You Don’t Have To Use All Inputs I Only Used 8"

From The Pic You Can See I Have 3 Lights At The Top.
The First Light Is A Red LED ,That Is An Alarm For The Temp Controller Which Is Not Associated With The PLC. The Temp Controller Controls My Heating And Cooling Via A Thermocouple That Senses A Voltage ,Via A Difference In Temp 0-10 Volts Then Switches Either A Heating Relay Or Cooling Relay ."That It For The Temp Controller, I Wanted to Do More With It But The Control Box Physical Size Would Not Allow Me ,And My Wife Would Have Killed Me If I Had A Bigger Panel"

The Second LED Is Blue , This Is Telling Me That The Auto Top up Is At The Correct Level.

The Pump To Come ON Only For 3 Min Every 12 Hours Subject To The Float Switch . "If The Sump Is Full Them There Is No Water Needed To Be Pumped Into The Sump."But From This Pic, The Bottom Right Hand Selector Switch Allows Me To Turn This Top Up Pump On And Off At Will,But I Must Hold The Switch In The On Position As It Is A Spring Return "So I Can Not Walk Away And Forget About It And Over Fill!

Now To The Second Row Of Switches

The First Button “Illuminated As All Buttons Are”

1)Red ,This Is The Return/ Calcium Reactor Button.
It Is Controlled Via The Switch And Also Other Buttons, But We Will Get To That If I Have Not Bored The Crap Out Of You Just Yet !

2)Blue, This Is The 2x250w Metal Halides These Turned On Via The Timer Through The PLC Also The Button And Also Controlled Via Another Switch .

3)White, This Control’s The Sump Light

The Third Row Of Buttons

1) Red This Is For My Power Heads They Can Be Switched On Or Off But Once Again Programmed To Be Off Via Another Switch.

2)Blue This Is For My Center Light A 1x250w Metal Halide Only On For 3 Hours A Day Via The Timer In The PLC But Once Again Can Be Turned On Or Off Via The Button.

3)LED Blue Lights These Come On After All My Metal Halides Go Off “Only For One Hour Though, Just To Stop Light Shock. Once Again Controlled Via A Timer And The Button.

The Fourth Row Of Buttons

1) Green Button This Is My Feeding Time Button . It Will Turn Off All Power Heads And Return Pump And Calcium Reactor For 10 Min , It Stops Blowing The Food All Over The Tank , It Automatically Turns All Pumps Back On After 10 Min.

2) Yellow Button This Turns “Everything OFF” Once Pressed For 8 Seconds .”I Forgot To Mention The Metal Halides Have The Same Feature, They Need to Be Pressed For 3 Seconds To Activate “

The Selector Switches “The Bottom Of The Control Panel

Switch 1) Skimmer Either On Or Off

2)Chiller Pump On/Off

3) As Mentioned Above The Auto To Up Switch

Well This Is As Simple As I Can Make It I Hope That Everyone Likes My Design.

Cost Unknown ...

Cheers Andrew

mcloughlin2
Fri Sep 19, 2008, 11:54 PM
:shock:

I'm speechless. What an unbelievable setup you have mate. Great work!

waitaki
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 01:19 AM
likewise - WOW - and it is so neat and tidy!! :mrgreen:

nicholas76
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 01:58 AM
Almost as good as mine tomo! :P :P :P :P :P

your a master sparky!!!!

Tommo
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 03:51 AM
Thanks Everyone.

lol Nick, well the price of yours has just gone up.Now when you stop buying corals and fish, and start buying equipment , i might make your light timer and auto top up ! :P

cheers Andrew

Merrilyn
Sat Sep 20, 2008, 10:38 AM
LOL now you're showing off :lol: :lol:

Mate, that's just fantastic, and your tank is looking aswome.

Folks it might be worth mentioning that Tommo is a licensed electrician, so this is definately not a job to be attempted as a DIY project.

Beautiful job.

Now how about hanging my chandeliers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tommo
Sun Sep 21, 2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks Merrilyn , yes you are right, id better come round and wire your chandeliers, as i am off night shift now.

Forgot about that :)

cheers Andrew

ILLUSN
Mon Sep 22, 2008, 06:07 AM
my god!!!!!!!!!!

when you comming to sydney tommo got a few jobs for you in my fish room :)

Tommo
Mon Sep 22, 2008, 06:14 AM
LOL Chees ILLUSN "no worries mate, if you want one built, i can do it"

Say hello to the technical advisor :P LOL

cheers mate

Andrew