PDA

View Full Version : OMG ... pigeon blood couple putting eggs on intake !

weird
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 08:28 AM
OMG .... like this was not suppose to happen. I though my smaller of the pair of adult pigeon bloods was sick, because she was always staying in the corner near the intake of the filter pointing her head up eating some algae ???? .... wow both pigeon bloods are there and they are putting eggs on the intake !!! wow, like I was not really expecting this ... this is so kewl !!!!

Aurora
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:11 AM
Congratulations. I hope the fry dont get sucked in though!

Is this the first time?

Dave

weird
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:38 AM
Yes first time :D

From the reading I have done I don't have too high of an expectation but thought I would give them a chance, I just put in some plastic I had sitting in the garage.

Weird last night I just put in a filter I had sitting in the garage, and then hey this just happens. Weird ! But super cool.

Lucky it was not hard to convince all the other guys to swim to the other side before closing it off.

heckelboy
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 09:43 AM
Where did you get that plastic from?

weird
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 10:00 AM
Mulford Plastics, in Silverwater. But I believe there is a Mulford Plastics in few other capital cities.

heckelboy
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks mate, and what is it called? ie. description

weird
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 10:22 AM
They have a sales office at the front with samples of all the different types of plastics they have at the back. So you can find it visually. Egg crate or fluorescent lighting grills or something like that. :wink:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1329&highlight=plastics

Trebs
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 10:04 PM
First thing to look for is the eggs getting a dark spot in the center. This means the pair is fertile. It doesn't look like two females, if it were you'd expect to see a lot of eggs.

Any idea how old they are?

jim
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 10:35 PM
Yeah weird, I thought they are quite young...
Oh man...now you are father of bn and pb :-)

Soon you will be the fish supplier for North Shore LFSs....

weird
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 07:35 AM
Thanx Jim. Haha ... wouldn't that be nice.

Its been about 24 hours now. 70% of the eggs are now a dark gray colour. The Dad seems to be doing most of the guarding. I don't really trust mum at the moment, not sure if she is trying to eat the eggs, but I will give her the benefit of the doubt. Just trying not to disturb them atm.

DiscusMan
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 01:01 PM
Well done on your eggs!

I hope all goes well for you with them and that you do in fact have a pair.

Wayne

weird
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 01:34 PM
I am keep my expectations low ... half if not more of the eggs have disappeared ... the remaining half are white so infertilised. Unless am kidding myself I think I see 2 wiggling things (it has only be 48 hours ... I thought it was 3 days ?)... the remaining eggs are still a grey colour ... but they look so small. And to top things off they choose my main inlet ... Suckering suckatash!!!!! lol

The sectioning of the tank is very successful, except the plastic I inserted to firm the side fell off, and when I came home one of my rams swam under. So I had shoo him back to his right side. I have replaced the plastic inserts with a magnetic algae cleaner which is doing a good job (and the driftwood on either side).

Now I don't want to be counting chickens before they are hatching ... but the other ram has decided to plant himself on a leaf and refuses to leave it. Also (she ?) has a very red belly .....................

DiscusMan
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 01:05 AM
Well all this activity must be due to something hey.

Maybe some Horny water.

The times for them to hatch are a bit variable on your conditions i think. The hardness of the eggs themselves are governed by the ph of the water. That is why the PH value you keep is important for breeding from memory. I think lower PH means softer egg casings but i am only going from memory here so shoot me down if im dead wrong. Hope they are little tails you see wagging there :)

Oh my pair has moved all the baboes form the breeding cone to the side of the tank. Seems they do have a preference for glass.

Wayne

weird
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 02:51 AM
Bad news :cry:

All the eggs ave been eaten.

And the ram looks like it has some sort of internal bacterial infection. Boo hoo.

Trebs
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 04:03 AM
Keep an eye out, they may well have moved them.